Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de> on 2016/07/25 14:32:13 UTC

James / James JSieve dependency to Geronimo-Mail [unsigned]

Hello,

we have runtime issues (class cast exception) using James3 due to the usage of java-mail-1.4.4 together with Geronimo-mail.
We are currently in testing, so we try to fix some runtime issues before going to production.

There have been a discussion to go back (again) from Geronimo to java-mail.
Java-mail is now developed by java.net, currently release is 1.5.5
See https://java.net/projects/javamail/pages/Home

Did the project james-jsieve do this move?

The dependency of james-server-mailets / apache-jsieve-mailet does define a dependency to geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail.
So if we do a maven install, we do get two Mail implementations in the lib directory:

-          geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail-1.8.3.jar

-          mail-1.4.4.jar

The content of the META-INF/mailcap is different:
Mail-1.4.4.jar:   text/plain;;         x-java-content-handler=com.sun.mail.handlers.text_plain
Geronimo:         text/plain;;         x-java-content-handler=org.apache.geronimo.javamail.handlers.TextPlainHandler
So I currently do not know which handler is used. May depend on classloader.

Question:
Should james-jsieve should also switch to mail-1.4.4.jar?
Or does james switch back to geronimo?

(Maybe this would concern activation/geronimo-activation).

Greetings
Bernd

Re: AW: James / James JSieve dependency to Geronimo-Mail [unsigned]

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.
Le 26/07/2016  09:54, Bernd Waibel a crit :
> Hello Matthieu,
>
> correct, the james-server project does use javax.mail.
> But I am talking about the "Apache jsieve" project.
Yes, I know
> James:
> The pom.xml of james-server-mailets (james-project/server/mailet/mailets/pom.xml) does have a dependency to apache-jsieve-mailet. Line 76.
> Also the pom.xml of james-server (james-project/server/pom.xml) does have a dependency to apache-jsieve-mailet. Line 873.
>
> jSieve:
> The apache-jsieve-mailet (https://github.com/apache/james-jsieve/blob/master/mailet/pom.xml) does define a dependency to: <artifactId>${javax.mail.artifactId}</artifactId>
> The parent of the mailet is "apache-jsieve" (https://github.com/apache/james-jsieve/blob/master/pom.xml), which defines:
> 	<javax.mail.groupId>org.apache.geronimo.javamail</javax.mail.groupId>
> 	<javax.mail.artifactId>geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail</javax.mail.artifactId>
> So jSieve still uses geronimo.
> Is this correct?
Of course
> So when doing a maven build, you get a dependency to geronimo. Due to this fact, the maven build will bundle the mail jar AND (!) the geronimo jar.
> This seems to be wrong. Just my opinion.

I agree
> The JSieve Project is a James project (http://james.apache.org/jsieve/index.html).
> So I kindly ask to manage the jSieve project, and switch from geronimo to java-mail.
> I could not provide a tested patch here, I do not use jSieve, and we do not have experience with jSieve.
>
> What do you think?
> a) Should jsieve switch to geronimo?
Yes
> b) If yes, can you or someone else change and test this?
If you propose a PR, we'll test it and will do the merge.

--
Matthieu Baechler

AW: James / James JSieve dependency to Geronimo-Mail [unsigned]

Everything should switch to javamail now, as fas as I remember I did the
switch on james-server some times ago.

--

Matthieu Baechler

Re: James / James JSieve dependency to Geronimo-Mail [unsigned]

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.