Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Lucas Galfaso <lg...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/03 18:45:53 UTC

Low ports and non-root

Hi all,
  In an application we are developing we need to open low ports and
run as another user with lower permissions than root. To do this we
have plan to
  - Start Felix as root
  - Have a bundle with native bindings that knows when all the
required ports are open
  - This native bundle will then change the current user from root to
the right one

The problem we have is that the application will need a full restart
to update the bundle that serves the web app. The question we are
facing is that just like any other resource, a server socket is
something that should be opened once (by one bundle or the framework
itself) and given to the specific bundle that needs it, do you know if
there is any such an effort to make any of the current standard
bundles work this way?
I know there are many workarounds possible, but it just feels natural
for the server socket resource to be provided as a service that the
Http Service (or any other service that needs a server socket
resource) requests. I also know that an update on this other bundle
will imply a restart, but I think an update here would be unusual at
best.

Regards,
  Lucas