Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Euan Guttridge <EG...@buildonline.com> on 2003/04/20 18:11:01 UTC

Tomcat stalls on Maven .jars

When deploying my (maven produced) webapp Tomcat stalls with:

  [java] WebappLoader[/pol-cactus]: Deploy JAR
/WEB-INF/lib/bol-common-2.0.jar to
/home/build/Build_Folder/maven2/bol-projectsonline/target/cactus/tomcat4x/we
bapps/pol-cactus/WEB-INF/lib/bol-common-2.0.jar
    [java] StandardHost[localhost]: ContainerBase.addChild: start: :
LifecycleException:  start: :  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
cactus,commons-httpclient,aspectjrt,httpunit,bol-castor,commons-logging,juni
t,servletapi,xml-apis,xerces,log4j,tyrex,jta,jaf,javamail,ots,ojdbc-Extensio
n-Name
    [java] LifecycleException:  start: :
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
cactus,commons-httpclient,aspectjrt,httpunit,bol-castor,commons-logging,juni
t,servletapi,xml-apis,xerces,log4j,tyrex,jta,jaf,javamail,ots,ojdbc-Extensio
n-Name

If I blank the manifest.mf in the jars (produced by Maven) Tomcat loads the
webapp fine.
I think Tomcat may be trying to *download* jars looking at the
"<extension>-Implementation-URL" references in the manifest?
--Any ideas?
--How can I prevent Maven from writing manifest.mf's?

Thanks.
Euan.

Manifest ref :
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html

Manifest:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Created-By: Apache Jakarta Maven
Built-By: build
Package: com.buildonline.common
Build-Jdk: 1.4.1_01
Extension-Name: bol-common
Specification-Version:
Specification-Vendor: BuildOnline Limited
Specification-Title: Set of common components for BuildOnline
Implementation-Version: 2.0
Implementation-Vendor: BuildOnline Limited
Implementation-Vendor-Id:
Extension-List: cactus,commons-httpclient,aspectjrt,httpunit,bol-casto
 r,commons-logging,junit,servletapi,xml-apis,xerces,log4j,tyrex,jta,ja
 f,javamail,ots,ojdbc
cactus-Extension-Name: cactus
cactus-Implementation-Version: 13-1.4.1
cactus-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/cactus/jars/ca
 ctus-13-1.4.1.jar
commons-httpclient-Extension-Name: commons-httpclient
commons-httpclient-Implementation-Version: 2.0alpha1-20020829
commons-httpclient-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/co
mmons-httpclient/jars/commons-httpclient-2.0alpha1-20020829.jar
aspectjrt-Extension-Name: aspectjrt
aspectjrt-Implementation-Version: 1.0.6
aspectjrt-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/aspectj/jar
 s/aspectjrt-1.0.6.jar
httpunit-Extension-Name: httpunit
httpunit-Implementation-Version: 1.5.1
httpunit-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/httpunit/jar
 s/httpunit-1.5.1.jar
bol-castor-Extension-Name: bol-castor
bol-castor-Implementation-Version: bol-version-0942
bol-castor-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/bol-castor
 /jars/bol-castor-0.9.4.2.jar
commons-logging-Extension-Name: commons-logging
commons-logging-Implementation-Version: 1.0.2
commons-logging-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commo
 ns-logging/jars/commons-logging-1.0.2.jar
junit-Extension-Name: junit
junit-Implementation-Version: 3.8.1
junit-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/junit/jars/juni
 t-3.8.1.jar
servletapi-Extension-Name: servletapi
servletapi-Implementation-Version: 2.3
servletapi-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/servletapi
 /jars/servletapi-2.3.jar
xml-apis-Extension-Name: xml-apis
xml-apis-Implementation-Version: 1.0.b2
xml-apis-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/xml-apis/jar
 s/xml-apis-1.0.b2.jar
xerces-Extension-Name: xerces
xerces-Implementation-Version: J_1.4.0
xerces-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/xerces/jars/xe
 rces-J_1.4.0.jar
log4j-Extension-Name: log4j
log4j-Implementation-Version: 1.2.7
log4j-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4
 j-1.2.7.jar
tyrex-Extension-Name: tyrex
tyrex-Implementation-Version: 1.0
tyrex-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/tyrex/jars/tyre
 x-1.0.jar
jta-Extension-Name: jta
jta-Implementation-Version: 1.0.1B
jta-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/jta/jars/jta-1_0_
 1B-classes.jar
jaf-Extension-Name: jaf
jaf-Implementation-Version: 1.0.2
jaf-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/jaf/jars/activati
 on.jar
javamail-Extension-Name: javamail
javamail-Implementation-Version: 1.3
javamail-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/javamail/jar
 s/mail.jar
ots-Extension-Name: ots
ots-Implementation-Version: 1.0
ots-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ots/jars/ots-jts_
 1.0.jar
ojdbc-Extension-Name: ojdbc
ojdbc-Implementation-Version: 14
ojdbc-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ojdbc/jars/ojdb
 c14.jar

Re: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections-SNAPSHOT.jar -> Tomcat error -> Catalina.start: LifecycleException: start: : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: junit,xml-apis,xerces-Extension-Name

Posted by Ben Walding <de...@walding.com>.
This was disabled in CVS HEAD about three months ago.

It is off by default, with an option to reenable it.

Posted by Jabe Bloom <ja...@cyetain.com>.

Re: Tomcat stalls on Maven .jars

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
Euan,

Euan Guttridge wrote:
> When deploying my (maven produced) webapp Tomcat stalls with:
>

> If I blank the manifest.mf in the jars (produced by Maven) Tomcat loads the
> webapp fine.
> I think Tomcat may be trying to *download* jars looking at the
> "<extension>-Implementation-URL" references in the manifest?
> --Any ideas?
> --How can I prevent Maven from writing manifest.mf's?

I deploy maven produced webapps in Tomcat without problems.
What version of Tomcat are you using?  What OS?

Any other clues in the tomcat log files - in particular look for
security exception.
You may need to run Tomcat with the security manager (-security flag)
and configure the $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/catalina.policy file appropriately.

Cheers, Mauro

Re: Tomcat stalls on Maven .jars

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Euan:

Bad news - there is nothing you can do based on the current jelly script
to turn off auto manifest extension content generation.

There are also some other problems:

  * you cannot declare dependencies that should be excluded
    from the extension list (e.g. jars needed for test or build
    purposes but not dependent in a runtime context).
  * you cannot override the extension name that is generated
    (needed for backward compatible manifest generation)

What's needed is the ability to:

  * switch on/off auto generation
  * override the extension name in the source project
  * exclude non-runtime jars from the extensions list
    (based on a dependency property?)

Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net

Re: Tomcat stalls on Maven .jars

Posted by Ben Walding <de...@walding.com>.
This is a problem with b9, the manifest file has a broken entry:
ExtensionList (it uses commas when it should use spaces)

The latest CVS versions no longer writes this information unless you
request it, and only then it writes a TomCat friendly manifest (as far
as I am aware).

Cheers,

Ben