Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com> on 2011/07/27 01:41:55 UTC

ok, we all get spam.. but.. spam warning us we opted out?

I really don't like to make fun of most spammers.  they can't spell, and
can't make an honest living at anything but tricking 13 yr olds into
downloading prn.

But, this one is too funny to pass by.

Needless to say, I am not posting the whole thing, just the funnyest part.

"Hello, I'm Brenda Hudson, Dell Director of Emerging Business.

Soon, we'll be sending our Dell Customer Experience Survey. Your opinion
is valuable to us and your feedback will help directly influence the
areas where Dell can drive business improvements with our solutions,
operations and people.

You have requested to not receive Dell marketing emails, which will make
you ineligible to be included in our upcoming survey."

So, I got a spam, warning me that I am ineligible to be included in
their upcoming spam.. so, does that mean they won't spam me anymore?
And, maybe its not a 'real spam' since this is 'transactional' and not
'sales' related, so it doesn't count, right?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Best Mobile Solutions Product of 2011
    * Best Intrusion Prevention Product
    * Hot Company Finalist 2011
    * Best Email Security Product
    * Certified SNORT Integrator

Re: ok, we all get spam.. but.. spam warning us we opted out?

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Karsten Br�ckelmann wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 19:41 -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> > "Hello, I’m Brenda Hudson, Dell Director of Emerging Business.
> >
> > Soon, we’ll be sending our Dell Customer Experience Survey. Your
> > opinion is valuable to us and your feedback will help directly
> > influence the areas where Dell can drive business improvements with
> > our solutions, operations and people.
> >
> > You have requested to not receive Dell marketing emails, which will
> > make you ineligible to be included in our upcoming survey."
>
> Not that this would actually be SA related, but...
>
> Did the message genuinely come from Dell? The named $director entity? Or
> was it an ESP on behalf of Dell?
>
> Since this was, as you claimed, after an opt-out -- what did the
> recipient opt-out of? Depending on the countries involved, there might
> be some opportunity by reporting to the feds. Or maybe even just cancel
> that ESP, by telling Dell what they do "on their behalf". If they do...

FWIW, I've received spam purportedly from "Dell Small Business"
<de...@smb.dell.com> which was sent by an ESP (BFI). I assume
that BFI was working at Dell's request, it looked like a valid Dell
ad (prices, SKUs, warranty disclamers, etc).

They claimed that I had subscribed to their list but as they sent it
to my NIC handle I -know- that I didn't subscribe, so I assume
that it was scraped or they bought a list.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

A spam a day keeps the network OK

Posted by ji...@jidanni.org.

j> I seldom if ever opt out if existing spam. That's what my spam filter
j> is for. It simply leads to nicely segregated spam I can deal with in a
j> trice. If I opt out my spam filter feels lonely. It LIKES its food. It
j> gets better with feeding.

Me too. I OPT-IN to spam. No spam == Link Down.
♫ A spam a day keeps the network OK. ♬
My God, I invented a famous sentence!
You heard it here first. Proof:
http://www.google.com/search?q="A+spam+a+day+keeps+the+network+OK"
And indeed, a day with no spam is a day to dread, as it means your
network link is surely busted. No better testing system for the average Joe!

Re: ok, we all get spam.. but.. spam warning us we opted out?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
On 2011/07/27 13:23, John Hardin wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>
>> it seems that people have gotten really stupid. sending an email, where
>> they ACKNOWLEDGE that I opted out, yet they decided to email me anyway?
>
> Maybe you'll opt back in. Pleeeeease? Look what nice shiny we'll send you if
> you do...

I seldom if ever opt out if existing spam. That's what my spam filter
is for. It simply leads to nicely segregated spam I can deal with in a
trice. If I opt out my spam filter feels lonely. It LIKES its food. It
gets better with feeding.

{^_-}

Re: ok, we all get spam.. but.. spam warning us we opted out?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> it seems that people have gotten really stupid. sending an email, where they
> ACKNOWLEDGE that I opted out, yet they decided to email me anyway?

Maybe you'll opt back in. Pleeeeease? Look what nice shiny we'll send you
if you do...

   The Constitution is a written instrument. As such its meaning does
   not alter. That which it meant when adopted, it means now.
                     -- U.S. Supreme Court
                        SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)
  9 days until the 276th anniversary of John Peter Zenger's acquittal

Re: ok, we all get spam.. but.. spam warning us we opted out?

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.
On 7/27/11 1:49 PM, Adam Katz wrote:
> It's probably an honest mistake from somebody at Dell that didn't
> consider all the possibilities.  Rather than trying to get that person
> fired, how about explaining the issue to them?
I know its the law in the us, but putting braille dots on the drive up
windows at the ban, seems silly to me.

putting 'in case of fire, do not use elevator, use stairs' on the bottom
floor seems silly to me.

it seems that people have gotten really stupid. sending an email, where
they ACKNOWLEDGE that I opted out, yet they decided to email me anyway?

Fired? well, no, but, maybe someone will tell them to stop violating
federal law or dell could be fined.

somewhere, somehow, people should be held accountable for using common
sense.
if they don't BLACKLIST THEM!!!

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.

On 07/27/2011 07:13 AM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> noop, dell directly, with a DNSWL_MED credit on the email with the
> default rules SA has for DNSWL.I did reply back and tell the user
> that that email finally qualifies them to take the management
> training class at mcdonalds and that they should go back to their
> local mcd's and fill out the application again.

It's probably an honest mistake from somebody at Dell that didn't
consider all the possibilities.  Rather than trying to get that person
fired, how about explaining the issue to them?  I'm sure they'll
apologize and then make sure it won't happen again (it might even
convince them to do more business with ESPs).

Certainly good for a laugh though!

Re: ok, we all get spam.. but.. spam warning us we opted out?

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.
On 7/26/11 8:41 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> Did the message genuinely come from Dell? The named $director entity? Or
> was it an ESP on behalf of Dell?
noop, dell directly, with a DNSWL_MED credit on the email with the
default rules SA has for DNSWL.I did reply back and tell the user that
that email finally qualifies them to take the management training class
at mcdonalds and that they should go back to their local mcd's and fill
out the application again.

most spam from 'legit' ESP's force the 'can spam' 'opt out/full physical
address' footers.  they really don't like compliants and ip's being
blacklisted by ip reputation lists like spamcop, dcc, spamhaus, etc.
(of course the non legit ones just get a new ipv6 address every 15 mins :-)

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
On 2011/07/26 16:41, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> I really don't like to make fun of most spammers. they can't spell, and
> can't make an honest living at anything but tricking 13 yr olds into
> downloading prn.
>
> But, this one is too funny to pass by.
>
> Needless to say, I am not posting the whole thing, just the funnyest part.
>
> "Hello, I’m Brenda Hudson, Dell Director of Emerging Business.
>
> Soon, we’ll be sending our Dell Customer Experience Survey. Your opinion is
> valuable to us and your feedback will help directly influence the areas
> where Dell can drive business improvements with our solutions, operations
> and people.
>
> You have requested to not receive Dell marketing emails, which will make you
> ineligible to be included in our upcoming survey."

> So, I got a spam, warning me that I am ineligible to be included in their
> upcoming spam.. so, does that mean they won't spam me anymore?
> And, maybe its not a 'real spam' since this is 'transactional' and not
> 'sales' related, so it doesn't count, right?

There is this Quixotic part of me that would opt back in, get the survey,
and lie like a rug. Then I'd opt back out. - unless they were willing to
pay me my consulting rate for my time.

{+_+}