Posted to dev@echarts.apache.org by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/02 02:43:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] Watermark by default

I'd like to propose adding a watermark stating something like "Charts
provided using Apache
ECharts (incubating)" in ECharts 5.0 which is displayed as small
translucent text in the bottom
right corner and developers may have a way to opt out programmatically.

The reason behind this is letting more visitors to those charts know that
they are made with
 ECharts. We recognize that many developers may not make a statement that
the product is
made with ECharts as the Apache license asks. Since we have so many users
(200,000 downloads
each week on npm), it's hard or almost impossible for us to find and check
the violations.

So, we could use the watermark as a way to provide a simple method to help
with the branding.
If some users prefer to opt out and maybe make a statement of using ECharts
elsewhere in their
product, they can do this easily with a simple option.

What do you think?

Thanks

*Ovilia*

Re: [DISCUSS] Watermark by default

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
On the final visualization may not be a good idea, for public usage. I
think.
Is this possible to generate the license information in the chart file but
w/o showing up?

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com> 于2020年7月2日周四 上午10:44写道:

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
Hi Clement,

You don't have to state you are using ECharts in your product or Website
unless you wish to.

Thanks

*Ovilia*

Posted by Yi Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ovilia,

I think most of our developers will prefer not to display the watermark on
their product. They need to search the document to find out how to turn it
off.
It's the opposite of `good by default`, which is what we want in the next
5.0

Thanks

--
Yi Shen
Apache ECharts(incubating) PPMC

Re: [DISCUSS] Watermark by default

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Move the IP issue discussion to private ML.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com> 于2020年7月2日周四 上午11:09写道:

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.