Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/03/05 08:05:57 UTC

Maven URL for Karaf features descriptor

Hi all,

On Karaf "previous" versions, such as Karaf 2.1.3 or 2.1.4, the features
descriptor was in mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.1.4/xml/features

Now, starting with 2.2.0 version, with the assemblies refactoring, the
features are in
mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/standard/2.2.0/xml/features.

I think it could be confusing for the users.

What do you think to use
mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.2.1/xml/standard-features,
mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.2.1/xml/enterprise-features ?

I don't want to change the maven modules structure (having
assemblies/features is clearer for the developers), but I take my user
cap and I think it could make sense to be as closest as possible of the
previous features descriptor locations.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Regards
JB

Re: Maven URL for Karaf features descriptor

Posted by jb...@nanthrax.net.
Hi Guillaume,

As I said the svn layout looks good to me. I would like only change the groupId (I think that "assemblies" in the groupId is ugly ;)).

Regards
JB
Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey JB,

basically +1, but

a) another rename? :)
b) we had soemthing like this already but decided to use assemblies
instead of plain features because all "real" Karaf features are there
already.

But big +1 for Davids idea to add relocated information here. I've
found an introduction here [1], but I'm not sure how to do it since
only the features.xml has been moved and not the entire package...

Kind regards,
Andreas

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> my proposal was more to use:
>
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/standard/2.2.0/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/enterprise/2.2.0/xml/features
>
> more than
>
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/standard/2.2.0/xml/features
> mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/enterprise/2.2.0/xml/features
>
> I think it's more "logical".
> The groupId containing assemblies is more for our usage but I don't think
> it's a "good" groupId for the users.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 03/05/2011 08:16 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> I seem to recall that for real artifacts maven supports some kind of "your
>> artifact is now located here...." file for obsolete locations.  Is there any
>> chance the mvn url handler supports something like that and we can just
>> point from the old location to the new one?
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 11:05 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> On Karaf "previous" versions, such as Karaf 2.1.3 or 2.1.4, the features
>>> descriptor was in mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.1.4/xml/features
>>>
>>> Now, starting with 2.2.0 version, with the assemblies refactoring, the
>>> features are in
>>> mvn:org.apache.karaf.assemblies.features/standard/2.2.0/xml/features.
>>>
>>> I think it could be confusing for the users.
>>>
>>> What do you think to use
>>> mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.2.1/xml/standard-features,
>>> mvn:org.apache.karaf/apache-karaf/2.2.1/xml/enterprise-features ?
>>>
>>> I don't want to change the maven modules structure (having
>>> assemblies/features is clearer for the developers), but I take my user cap
>>> and I think it could make sense to be as closest as possible of the previous
>>> features descriptor locations.
>>>
>>> Thoughts ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,

Yeah, the metadata could contain relocation instructions. I could have
sense to add it beginning with 2.2.0.
It could help all people who have made Karaf custom distribution and
want to update to Karaf 2.2.0.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.