Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/09 03:20:46 UTC

reef-runtime-spark and java8

Hi Reef Development Community,
As part of implementing reef-runtime-spark based on a dataloader strategy I
am trying to embed a lambda function inside a map operation over a spark
rdd , from reading the documentation it seems like lambda expressions are
only supported on Java8, however when I look at the top level pom file for
reef I see that the reef codebase is compiled using Java7.   I can try to
figure out a workaround for this but was wondering if there's a plan for
moving to Java8 in the near term?

Thoughts.

Re: reef-runtime-spark and java8

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Byon-Gon,
I will implement a workaround that simulates a lambda function in spark,
however it'd be really great to move to Java1.8 sooner than later as a lot
of the spark versions have functional programming constructs embedded
inside them which are easier to implement in Java1.8.

Let me know if we as a community should push on this, would be glad to help.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Saikat,

--
Byung-Gon Chun