Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org> on 2002/09/07 19:18:56 UTC

remove underlines on links, please

Hypertext links should not be underlined by the style.  That is a
browser preference item that is typically turned off by people who
know the option exists.

....Roy

Re: remove underlines on links, please

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
André Malo wrote:
> * Joshua Slive wrote:
>

>>Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>>Hypertext links should not be underlined by the style.  That is a
>>>browser preference item that is typically turned off by people who
>>>know the option exists.
>>
>>As I've said, I agree with this, and enough people have expressed this
>>opinion that I will make that change.  That means turning off
>>underlining for *everything*.
>

> ehm, what do you mean with "everything"? The link behaviour just turns
> to browser default.

Ah, yes.  I guess I slightly misunderstood.  The patch is fine with me.

Joshua.

Re: remove underlines on links, please

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Hypertext links should not be underlined by the style.  That is a
>> browser preference item that is typically turned off by people who
>> know the option exists.
>
> As I've said, I agree with this, and enough people have expressed this
> opinion that I will make that change.  That means turning off
> underlining for *everything*.

ehm, what do you mean with "everything"? The link behaviour just turns
to browser default.

> Does anyone have opinions about whether the underline should be turned
> on for hover, or should we just stick with the change in background
> color alone?

IMHO we should be consistent and keep the color change only. If the
browser underlines a:hover by default, it's his issue...

The attached patch sticks only with the text-decoration:none for
p.letters a:link. That should be kept, IMHO.

nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }