Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jeremy Peterson <jp...@acentek.net> on 2016/11/07 15:31:15 UTC

Create VM's with 2 cores 2sockets

I have a CS environment setup and I'd like to know how to call CloudStack to create a VM with sockets and core distinction.

Right now it seems to be created all vms with x number of sockets with 1 core per socket.

Hypervisor : XenServer
CS Version : 4.5.0

Any ideas?

Jermy

Re: Create VM's with 2 cores 2sockets

Posted by Sergey Levitskiy <Se...@autodesk.com>.
I believe you don’t need to do anything on hypervisor part any more. On VMware it works as described below and should work the same for other hypervisors.
You can configure it on per VM or per template level by inserting the following configuration into user_vm_details or vm_template_details table respectively

cpuid.coresPerSocket

If you do it for the template level all VMs built from it will have this setting and it will be passed further to new templates if they are created.

At this point this configuration can’t be edited in ACS UI and it is rather hard to do via API. There is Jira ticket and PR to address it in one of the upcoming releases. Until then you can use the following SQL (or similar) to manipulate cores/socket ratio. (always test your DB changes in the Lab)

set @vmcores=2;
set @vmuuid='d550e7d6-2515-4df9-9686-6daaf3c5a7d1';

delete vd from cloud.user_vm_details vd join cloud.vm_instance i on i.id=vd.vm_id where  i.uuid=@vmuuid and vd.name='cpuid.coresPerSocket';
insert into cloud.user_vm_details (vm_id,`name`, `value`) (select i.id,'cpuid.coresPerSocket',@vmcores from cloud.vm_instance i where  i.uuid=@vmuuid)

After it is updated you would need to switch service offering with 4 CPUs and stop/start your VM.

Thanks,
Sergey

On 11/7/16, 8:34 AM, "Stephan Seitz" <s....@secretresearchfacility.com> wrote:

    AFAIK and only speaking for the hypervicsor, this feature requires a
    XenServer license
    https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX126524

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com>.