Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Kanarinka <ka...@ikatun.com> on 2002/04/04 19:53:05 UTC

question on xindice & Document Management

Hi Xindice Experts --

Here's our problem: we would like to be able to have our xml docs
reference/link to/include other xml docs in order to 1) keep documents
small in size and 2) preserve readability. Is there any way to do this
in Xindice?

What i mean is that we would like to have, say, a "BookShelf" object
defined by an XMLSchema document. The bookshelf xsd defines that the
bookshelf can have 0..* book objects. In our implementation xml docs
that we store in xindice, we would like the bookshelf to be an xml
document and each book to be its own xml document. What I am confused
about is how the bookshelf xml doc would reference/link to each
individual book document.

Is something like this possible in xindice (or in xml for that matter)?

I have been investigating technologies like XLink and XInclude and i am
unclear both on the problems they are designed to solve and whether or
not they are supported by other technologies (such as xerces and
xindice).

If anyone could shed some light on this matter I would most appreciate
it!!

Thanks!
Catie D'Ignazio