Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/21 21:34:20 UTC

Legal questions about moving JXTA/JXSE project to ASF

Dear Apache,

My name is Jérôme Verstrynge and I am the lead for the latest release of
JXTA/JXSE (2.6). Oracle has officially announced this week that it was
withdrawing from the JXTA/JXSE project. This is something we expected to
happen sooner or later. The community's voting is an overwhelming
victory for Apache. I am preparing an application to join the incubator.

We have a couple of legal issues we would like to discuss with you.
- All JXTA code has been release under Apache License 1.1 (see
https://jxta.dev.java.net/jxta_license.htm). We are currently trying to
have it released under Apache 2.0.
- Many parts of the code are covered by patents. Some patent are
obviously covered by prior art, but not all.
- The string of email below summarizes the discussion in the community.

- One of our community member contacted its lawyer and says that since
code has been released under Apache 1.1, we are safe. Do you agree?

- Someone on the Apache incubator maillist said that Apache 1.1 license
allows sub-licensing? Does it mean we could move the code under Apache
license 2.0 if we can't obtain this from Sun/Oracle?

- Someone suggested we re-engineerd existing code, but the lawyer seems
to say we would be in grey area (c.f.,"The grey area comes where a
modification of the existing code, in an area covered by the patents, is
so important, that it could be considered not as a modification of the
existing code (covered by the Apache License) but as a new
implementation of what is covered in the patents."). Do it make sense to
re-engineer that code?

- Oracle/Sun is not eager to transfert the JXTA trademark. We now
believe it has to do with the fact that this name appears in many patent
applications. Does it mean we should pick another name to move to ASF?

Thanks,

Jérôme Verstrynge

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Legal questions about moving JXTA/JXSE project to ASF

Posted by Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com>.
My bad, I was not registered to the mailing list. I missed the answer.
Thanks for your answer.

Jérôme

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Our contact at Oracle said they would not oppose a fork of the code/project.
> He said he is currently taking a look at release under Apache 2.0.

That works.

>>  As to the patent questions, I don't think they can be answered in
>>  abstract terms; but overall I am not I see no reason for undue
>>  concern.  Others are welcome to chime in here.
>>
>>  Sam Ruby
>
> About patents, there is a typo in your sentence: "(...) overall I am not I
> see no
> reason (...)". Do you mean our concerns are legitimate or not?

Yes, there is a typo.  Drop the words "I am not".  Overall I see no
reason for undue concern.  Particularly if the owner relicenses the
original code under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

> Thanks,
>
> Jérôme

- Sam Ruby

Re: Legal questions about moving JXTA/JXSE project to ASF

Posted by Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your answer:

>  Looking at the license, using the terms JXTA requires prior written
>  permission, and it appears that we will likely be unable to obtain
>  that permission.  That does mean that a rename is in order.

We are currently voting for a new name in the community.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Jérôme Verstrynge <jv...@gmail.com>.
Dear Apache,

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.