Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/15 10:27:03 UTC

[Axis2] Clear up the Wiki

Hi,
It seems that the wiki for axis 2 has become very un-organized. I am
thinking of clearing up the wiki a bit (especially the areas that
concern OM) so that wiki readers will not get confused.

any suggestions ? :)

BTW - I think the SVN scratch area badly needs some "upgrading" too
--
Ajith Ranabahu

OM Re: [Axis2] Clear up the Wiki

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:

>Hi,
>It seems that the wiki for axis 2 has become very un-organized. I am
>thinking of clearing up the wiki a bit (especially the areas that
>concern OM) so that wiki readers will not get confused.
>
>any suggestions ? :)

here is what i think are all(?!) OM related pages crurrently inWiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OM
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OMGoals
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OMRequirements
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OMUseCases
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OMPerf
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OMPerGuide
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OMProposedArchi
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OMTableModel
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Architecture/OM/TypedXMLStream
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/OMDiagrams

how do you think this should restructured?

i think we need entry page (OM), then intro page (OMIntro?) some pages
explaining background and showing what problems OM is supposed to solve
(OMGoals/OMRequirements/OMUseCases) and then details on actual api
(OMAPI or OmApi?) and more details on implementations, tests etc (rest
of pages)

alek

Re: [Axis2] Clear up the Wiki

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:

>Hi,
>It seems that the wiki for axis 2 has become very un-organized. I am
>thinking of clearing up the wiki a bit (especially the areas that
>concern OM) so that wiki readers will not get confused.

i have refactored OM page to split into sections and separate pages - hopefully that will make OM pages easier to read:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage_2fArchitecture_2fOM

thanks,

alek

Re: [Axis2] Clear up the Wiki

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Glen Daniels wrote:

>>BTW - I think the SVN scratch area badly needs some "upgrading" too
>>

>Also +1.  I'm not so much concerned about the structure as I am about how to find things.  What I'd like to see is a README.txt file
>at the top level of the "scratch" area which describes the contents of each sub-directory.  If you're working on something you'd
>like to share, put an entry in that file which describes what it is and where it lives - this way there'd be one place to go to find
>out which of the many "om" directories is the current "state of the art" amongst some group of people.  Example entry:
>
>gdaniels/EngineToy - initial prototype of AxisEngine, demonstrating
>	Phases, stop/start of execution, Handler model, and transports/
>	Responders.
>
>What do you think?

+1 this is very good idea.

alek

RE: [Axis2] Clear up the Wiki

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Ajith!

> It seems that the wiki for axis 2 has become very
> un-organized. I am thinking of clearing up the wiki a bit
> (especially the areas that concern OM) so that wiki readers
> will not get confused.

+1

> any suggestions ? :)

Split things out into separate pages.  The front page is way too big, for one thing.

Keep the "big picture" section, then split out "Contributors" to a separate page.

"Requirements/Goals" should be another page (sections 1.3-1.5)

Sub-projects (OM, Engine, etc) should each have a link to a separate page (that's where content that is currently in section 1.7.1
should go for each sub-project), and a list of contributors like it has now.

Keep logistics on the front page, but move IM info to the "Contributors" page.

That enough? :)

> BTW - I think the SVN scratch area badly needs some "upgrading" too

Also +1.  I'm not so much concerned about the structure as I am about how to find things.  What I'd like to see is a README.txt file
at the top level of the "scratch" area which describes the contents of each sub-directory.  If you're working on something you'd
like to share, put an entry in that file which describes what it is and where it lives - this way there'd be one place to go to find
out which of the many "om" directories is the current "state of the art" amongst some group of people.  Example entry:

gdaniels/EngineToy - initial prototype of AxisEngine, demonstrating
	Phases, stop/start of execution, Handler model, and transports/
	Responders.

What do you think?

--Glen