Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Madhav Bhargava <un...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/01 00:16:00 UTC

Signing and Encrypting messages using Apache tribes

Hi All,

We use apache tribes for inter node communication via multicast. For
securing inter node communication two things are required:

1. Establishing the identity of a node as valid who is sending the message
2. Encrypting selective messages which are sensitive in nature.

This topic was raised some time back (
http://tomcat.10.n6.nabble.com/Securing-Tomcat-cluster-communication-td1973779.html
 )

It is recommended that encryption/decryption of messages be done using a
custom interceptor or using a stunnel, the former approach being the
preferred approach. It has also being mentioned that the option
SEND_OPTIONS_SECURE has not been implemented. This was in 2011, how its
2012 - Has this been implemented now?

What do you suggest is the best way using tribes to sign messages - via
another interceptor or by just using the secret keyword as per
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html

best regards,
madhav

--
When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do
not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do

RE: Signing and Encrypting messages using Apache tribes

[Filip Hanik]
Correct, using an interceptor you can do that. That is the easiest way. You can also use it for membership as membership messages carry a payload.

It has also being mentioned that the option
> SEND_OPTIONS_SECURE has not been implemented. This was in 2011, how its
> 2012 - Has this been implemented now?
[Filip Hanik]
No.

> What do you suggest is the best way using tribes to sign messages - via
> another interceptor
[Filip Hanik]
Yes, use an interceptor