Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Morgan Segalis <ms...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 17:24:06 UTC

Adding my first node to another one...

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to wrap my head around Cassandra great ability to expand…

I have set up my first Cassandra node a while ago… it was working great, and data wasn't so important back then.
Since I had a great experience with Cassandra I decided to migrate step by step my MySQL data to Cassandra.

Now data start to be important, so I would like to create another node, and add it.
Since I had some issue with my DataCenter, I wanted to have a copy (of sensible data only) on another DataCenter.

Quite frankly I'm still a newbie on Cassandra and need your guys help.

First things first…
Already up and Running Cassandra (Called A):
	- Do I need to change anything to the cassandra.yaml to make sure that another node can connect ? if yes, should I restart the node (because I would have to warn users about downtime) ?
	- Since this node should be a seed, the seed list is already set to localhost, is that good enough ?

The new node I want to add (Called B):
	- I know that before starting this node, I should modify the seed list in cassandra.yaml… Is that the only thing I need to do ?

It is my first time doing this, so please be gentle ;-)

Thank you all,

Morgan.

Re: Adding my first node to another one...

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
I recommend you do not add 1.2 nodes to a 1.1 cluster.   We tried this, and
ran into many issues.  Specifically, the data will not correctly stream
from the 1.1 nodes to the 1.2, and it will never bootstrap correctly.

--
Jon Haddad
http://www.rustyrazorblade.com

Re: Adding my first node to another one...

Posted by Morgan Segalis <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

Le 2 août 2013 à 00:15, Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> a écrit :

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Morgan Segalis <ms...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually I was thinking I would like Cassandra choose by itself the token.
>
> You NEVER want Cassandra to choose its own token in production. There is no advantage to doing so and significant risk when used as a matter of course. The conf file even says you should manually specify tokens in production..

Ok, then I'll try to understand this token thing.

> How to make this node know that it will be a Seed.
>
> The only thing that makes a node a Seed is that any other node has it in its seed list.

Good to know, thanks !

> My current Node A is using Cassandra 1.1.0
>
> You should not run 1.1.0, it contains significant and serious bugs. You should upgrade to the top of 1.1 series ASAP.

Of course I need to upgrade Cassandra, but I won't do that until I have another node than can take the relay while I'm upgrading.

> Is it compatible if I install a new node with Cassandra 1.2.8 ? or should I fetch 1.1.0 for Node B ?
>
> It is not compatible, use 1.1.x with 1.1.x.

Yeah, that's what I though !

> =Rob

Thank you for your tips.

Re: Adding my first node to another one...

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Morgan Segalis <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arthur,