Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Marcin Grzejszczak <mg...@vmware.com.INVALID> on 2022/11/02 15:50:38 UTC

Tomcat Micrometer integration

Hi!

I'm one of the maintainers of the Micrometer [1]<https://micrometer.io/> project (together with Tommy Ludwig and Jonatan Ivanov).

I'd like to ask if there would be an interest to introduce the Micrometer Observation API [2]<https://micrometer.io/docs/observation> to Tomcat in order to add metrics and distributed tracing support using a single API (that has no compile dependencies). We will be releasing this API to Maven Central on the 7/11 so it will be publicly available then. We are more than happy to contribute the feature to Tomcat.

The Observation instrumentation most likely would include creation of a dedicated Valve similar to the one present in this sample [3]<https://github.com/micrometer-metrics/micrometer-samples/blob/main/mvc/src/main/java/com/example/micrometer/ManualConfiguration.java#L41>.

[1] https://micrometer.io/
[2] https://micrometer.io/docs/observation
[3] https://github.com/micrometer-metrics/micrometer-samples/blob/main/mvc/src/main/java/com/example/micrometer/ManualConfiguration.java#L41
[https://opengraph.githubassets.com/5d615eb5e8a5ff2a90dd0151835cbbb30979c4573e1b566aecc22721de567822/micrometer-metrics/micrometer-samples]<https://github.com/micrometer-metrics/micrometer-samples/blob/main/mvc/src/main/java/com/example/micrometer/ManualConfiguration.java#L41>
micrometer-samples/ManualConfiguration.java at main · micrometer-metrics/micrometer-samples<https://github.com/micrometer-metrics/micrometer-samples/blob/main/mvc/src/main/java/com/example/micrometer/ManualConfiguration.java#L41>
Sample apps to demo Micrometer features. Contribute to micrometer-metrics/micrometer-samples development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com

Marcin Grzejszczak
Staff Engineer, Spring Cloud
mgrzejszczak@vmware.com<ma...@vmware.com>
<ma...@vmware.com>Inflancka 4b, 00-189 Warsaw, Poland

Office: +48 22 322 53 05

Cell: +48 782 993 312

[VMware]<http://www.vmware.com/>

Re: Tomcat Micrometer integration

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Our general approach with 3rd party integrations is for the 3rd party to
host it and we'd be happy to link to it.

While this integration is small, I am concerned about the slippery slope
and just how much stuff we could end up shipping with Tomcat for various
3rd party integrations.

Mark