Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by brian <br...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/18 01:24:57 UTC

book for servlet programming

I need a book for servlet programming-
 there are some good reviews for the Jason (O'Reilly) book.
and also for Goodwill's Servlet programming.

Please let me know your experiences about a good book to for
servlet programming. (shall be using Tomcat primarily)

references to some tutorials with tomcat/servlet programming
examples

Thanks

Re: book for servlet programming

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
> 3/ Download a copy of the servlet spec (java.sun.com) and give it a good
> skim.  It's dry -- it's a spec, after all -- but it contains what every
> servlet developer should know.  Sticking to spec-compliant code will
> make your apps container-agnostic, such that you can use Tomcat,
> WebLogic, etc with little difficulty.

I second that whole heartedly. It is essential to understand that everything
is driven by the specifications - make them your bibles.

The O'Reilly "Java Servlet and JSP Cookbook" book is also a good secondary
source.

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK

Re: book for servlet programming

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 04:24:57PM -0800, brian wrote:
: Please let me know your experiences about a good book to for
: servlet programming. (shall be using Tomcat primarily)

1/ "Inside Servlets," by Dustin Callaway.  I tried a few other servlet
books, but this is the one that really worked for me.  It remains a
valuable reference.

2/ Go to your local bookstore and skim some texts to see what authors
resonate with you.  I have a tough time following a book if the style
bothers me.

3/ Download a copy of the servlet spec (java.sun.com) and give it a good
skim.  It's dry -- it's a spec, after all -- but it contains what every
servlet developer should know.  Sticking to spec-compliant code will
make your apps container-agnostic, such that you can use Tomcat,
WebLogic, etc with little difficulty.

-QM

--

software   -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news  -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

RE: book for servlet programming

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
I like the WROX book JSP 2nd Edition.  It's not purely a servlet book but it
covers just about everything you might want to do.  Namely filters,
servlets, JSPs, MVC frameworks, XML/XSLT, custom tags and tag libraries,
JDBC, and EJB.  It's a little old so it doesn't cover some other important
things, but it's a good solid starter book in my opinion.

And if you don't need it anymore it works good for crushing small objects.
:)

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com

Posted by David Short <ds...@san.rr.com>.
I highly recommend "Java Server Pages" 3rd edition, by Hans Bergsten
(O'Reilly).  It covers servlets, JSP and struts.  Many examples and easy to
read and understand.  I own all three editions.