Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2020/08/25 17:36:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] A plan for 2.4

Heya!

Now that 2.3.x is in maintenance mode, I'd like to start a discussion on
2.4. We've long agreed that a more frequent cadence of minor releases is
superior to a long gap between them. I think we should target a 2.4.0
release sometime before the end of the calendar year, perhaps the first
weeks of December.

Hopefully the workload for the next release manager isn't as high as it was
for 2.3, given that much of the test stabilization effort happened on
branch-2. However, we are running in a new jenkins environment, and entropy
is nothing if not persistent, which puts that hard-won stability back into
doubt. Thus, I think it would be good if we can start sooner than later.

Would anyone like to volunteer to run the 2.4 release line? The level of
effort is admittedly non-negligible: (1) stabilize branch-2 (2) test
new-for-branch-2 features (3) run initial release (4) cut monthly patch
releases until 2.5 is out. I have a strong interest in seeing this release
through, so I volunteer to assist with these activities.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [DISCUSS] A plan for 2.4

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
> To meet Nick's objective of a 2.4 release in November

To be clear, my objective is a 2.4.0 release that lands roughly 6 months
after 2.3.0 landed, which was 13-07-2020. Given the extent of end-of-year
holidays, and how little feature development work we expect at that time, I
think it would be nice for 2.4.0 to land in early December. As I recall, we
needed about 6 weeks of RCs to settle out 2.3.0, so I'm trying to account
for a similar schedule for 2.4.0.

Re: [DISCUSS] A plan for 2.4

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Sure, I'll try it out. My usual process is manual inspection and so a tool
to automate some of it sounds great.

--
Best regards,
Andrew