Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Amol Deshpande <am...@gazillion.com> on 2010/08/17 21:49:27 UTC

Adding protocol buffers binding to client interface

For various reasons (existing codebase, clients running C#, etc.), we
are considering implementing a client interface that understands Google
protocol buffers.
>From browsing the source in trunk, it looks like the model to follow is
CassandraServer.java in org.apache.cassandra.avro

Is that the right place to start ? Are there other parts of the code
that are involved in implementing the client interface ?

Thanks,
-amol

RE: Adding protocol buffers binding to client interface

Posted by Amol Deshpande <am...@gazillion.com>.
We have our own internal framework on top of protobufs, which is probably the way I'm going for now.
Thanks,
-amol

> Is that the right place to start ? Are there other parts of the code
> that are involved in implementing the client interface ?

just out of curiosity, which RPC implementation on top of protobuffers
are you planning on using?

-Bjørn

Re: Adding protocol buffers binding to client interface

Posted by bb...@gmail.com.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
That would be the right model to follow, although I think you might
have an easier time maintaining a PB -> Thrift proxy in front of
Cassandra.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra