Posted to dev@commonsrdf.apache.org by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org> on 2015/03/17 10:51:09 UTC

Casing: RdfTerm or RDFTerm?

I know it's just a detail and there is no clear right or wrong. Still I'd
like to have a conscious decision on how to do the casing so we can apply
it consistently everywhere.

Approaches:
A) Acronyms are treated like normal words, i.e. only the first character is
uppercased, this is what the google style guide recommends [1]
B) Acronyms are uppercased as a whole
C) 2-Letter acronyms are uppercased, longer are treated like normal words
(this seems to be the .Net convention)

I personally prefer the first approach for the following reasons:
- IDEs get it right, the default name for the result of getRdfUiApiKey() or
a field of type RdfUiApiKey is rdfUiApiKey (or uiApiKey, or apiKey, or key)
not rDFUIAPIKey.
- It's more readable, the acronyms are the individual words, the case
distinctions allows to recognize them quickly
- It's not always obvious is something is an abbreviation or any acronym,
while it might seem OK to uppercase some abbreviations like "OK" or "ID"
uppercasing other abreviations would look quite strange (e.g.
"LiteralIMPL"). So for consistency treat acronyms like abbreviations like
normal words.

WDYT?

Reto

1.
https://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/javaguide.html#s5.3-camel-case

Re: Casing: RdfTerm or RDFTerm?

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter

I fully agree that Commons RDF shall be implementation independent. This is
also a reason why I oppose introducing artifacts that are not into the RDF
Model and abstract syntax into the API. Introducing things like BNode IDs
work well with some backends but bad with others, that's why I think they
should not be part of the API,

Clerezza, even its most basic core, is an implementation under the
> assumptions we have been using since we setup the project. One main
> assumption that we have been following is that we are setting up
> something completely independent from any existing code to give the
> project the best chance of succeeding, politically speaking.

It might have been politically wiser to start with two project from
beginning, one for the vendor independent API and one for the
Web-Application platform on top of it. Anyway, now we have a new project
for the API and if this is generic enough there is no reason it shouldn't
replace the clerezza RDF API. The Clerezza Adapter implementing the RDF Api
on top Jena and Sesame would then become obsolete.

As it says in the guidelines, the resulting library will live or die
> on their merits, and no particular implementation is being forced to
> use the library if there is a reason why it doesn't fit and that can't
> be negotiated through.

What guidelines are you referring to?

> However, there is no technical reason why Clerezza cannot simply
> implement the interfaces as they are currently defined without the
> interface names being changed, and hence it seems like you are still
> pushing your particular implementation on the Commons RDF project.

This is ridiculous, of course clerezza can use any name. In fact I've
refactored clerezza to use the names as in your code proposal on Github.
After the rename from Resource to RDFNode they where better than the one in
clerezza. The only deviation from your proposal is the casing, it wouldn't
have been more work to change that too. And once there is a decision here
on a convention I will propose to clerezza to use the same convention. The
important thing is that we have a convention and to speak with Kant, a good
convention is one that we can at the same time will that it should become a
universal convention without contradiction.

For me the best such convention is to threat acronyms as words. There are
good argument for other conventions, just referring to the proposed code on
github is however not one of these good arguments.

Cheers,
Reto

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Reto,

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Reto,

Sorry, but there is no real impetus for change. The status quo has to
be challenged for a change proposal of this nature, which it isn't
with only single acronyms in any of the classes we are working on
right now, even at this point with low change costs.

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Reto - you misquote me.

> you and Andy a
> preference for having them uppercased,

Your initial summary (d) was closer.  "cased as they appear in the
specs" ... within reason.

What naming conventions Clerezza has chosen is a matter for Clerezza.
Projects using the library make their own decisions.

	Andy

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
No, we had already agreed that a single uppercase acronym in a class
name was acceptable. You had then gone on to refer to the case of

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Reto,

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Retro,

Posted by Reto Gmür <re...@wymiwyg.com>.

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
I prefer the current style.  It's more common and closer to the specs.

Java itself uses SOAP*, SQL*, XPath*, JMX*, JAXB*, HTML*, .. and a mix
of Xml and XML, Http and HTTP.

(With deviation from any rules where obvious readability improvements
result.)

Digressing - I found that an identifier of "_" now generates a warning
in Java8 (not that I would use a single _ much refer $) becaue ti's
going to be removed.  Anyone know the background to that?  Scala
alignment maybe?

	Andy

On 17/03/15 09:51, Reto Gmür wrote:
> I know it's just a detail and there is no clear right or wrong. Still I'd
> like to have a conscious decision on how to do the casing so we can apply
> it consistently everywhere.
>
> Approaches:
> A) Acronyms are treated like normal words, i.e. only the first character is
> uppercased, this is what the google style guide recommends [1]
> B) Acronyms are uppercased as a whole
> C) 2-Letter acronyms are uppercased, longer are treated like normal words
> (this seems to be the .Net convention)
>
> I personally prefer the first approach for the following reasons:
> - IDEs get it right, the default name for the result of getRdfUiApiKey() or
> a field of type RdfUiApiKey is rdfUiApiKey (or uiApiKey, or apiKey, or key)
> not rDFUIAPIKey.

Eclipse gets it right for any convention for me.

> - It's more readable, the acronyms are the individual words, the case
> distinctions allows to recognize them quickly
> - It's not always obvious is something is an abbreviation or any acronym,
> while it might seem OK to uppercase some abbreviations like "OK" or "ID"
> uppercasing other abreviations would look quite strange (e.g.
> "LiteralIMPL"). So for consistency treat acronyms like abbreviations like
> normal words.
>
> WDYT?
?Wdyt !

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I'm never quite decided on those.. I struggle with JsonThing vs
JSONThing. One advantage of the first style is that it autocompletes
much nicer, I don't have to type out the full acronym before I can
type the T for Thing (e.g. J T Ctrl-Shift-T). Also it downplays the
importance of the acronym.

getJpegViewer() vs getJPEGViewer()  -- I would pick the first one.

class ConvertJSON2RDF -- NO! WHAT IS GOIG ON HERE?!?
class ConvertJsonToRdf wins.

but..
RdfTerm vs RDFTerm  ... here I actually prefer "RDFTerm" though - as
"Rdf" can't be read like a word ("urduff"?), unlike "Jay-pegg" and
"Jason".

Sorry for not being more conclusive .. :) I would vote 0 for either.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Acronyms as word. I never want to see another XMLSAXDTDParser type
of name...

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com