Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Paulo J. Matos" <po...@soton.ac.uk> on 2006/10/24 19:28:17 UTC

Moving folder to another rep

Hi all,

How can I move my application from one rep to another, maintaining all
the revision history, i.e., not starting from rev. 0 in the new
repository?

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm
PhD Student @ ECS
University of Southampton, UK

Re: Moving folder to another rep

Posted by "Wesley J. Landaker" <wj...@icecavern.net>.
On Wednesday 25 October 2006 05:25, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 10/25/2006 7:09 AM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> > Ryan and Duncan, it seems to be you're both assuming I'm the admin of
> > the svn repository, right?
> > However, I'm not. I have a project at sourceforge and I would like to
> > move it to my departments repository. I'm obviously not admin in any
> > of them.
> >
> > Any way to do this?
>
> That's harder.  I think you can do it with svk:  make a local copy of
> the repository, and then load the changes from that, but that isn't
> really the way svk is designed to be used, so maybe not.

Actually, svk works exceptionally well for things this.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wj...@icecavern.net>

Re: Moving folder to another rep

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 10/25/2006 7:09 AM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> Ryan and Duncan, it seems to be you're both assuming I'm the admin of
> the svn repository, right?
> However, I'm not. I have a project at sourceforge and I would like to
> move it to my departments repository. I'm obviously not admin in any
> of them.
>
> Any way to do this?

That's harder.  I think you can do it with svk:  make a local copy of
the repository, and then load the changes from that, but that isn't
really the way svk is designed to be used, so maybe not.

Or you could write a horrible script to update from one repos, rsync to
a working copy checked out from the other, and commit:  but I wouldn't
try that.

I think you'll need help from your department's admin.  And you should
expect revision numbers to change, so log messages will refer to the
wrong revs.

Why not just set up a repository in your own account?  There isn't a lot
of advantage to having a lot of different projects in one repository.
The only ones I can think of is that it makes it easy to copy code from
one to another, and backup is a bit simpler.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: Moving folder to another rep

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 24, 2006, at 14:28, Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> How can I move my application from one rep to another, maintaining all
> the revision history, i.e., not starting from rev. 0 in the new
> repository?

You would "svnadmin dump" the data out of the old repository into a
dumpfile. If the old repository also contains other things that you
don't want to import into the new repository, you would
"svndumpfilter" them out. Then you would "svnadmin load" the filtered
dumpfile into the new repository.

Re: Moving folder to another rep

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 10/24/2006 3:28 PM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How can I move my application from one rep to another, maintaining all
> the revision history, i.e., not starting from rev. 0 in the new
> repository?

You want to create a new repository containing nothing but this one
application?  Then svnadmin dump, svndumpfilter, svnadmin create,
svnadmin load should do it (with the right details).

If you want to load it into an existing repository, you can dump, filter
and load, but the rev numbers will change.

Duncan Murdoch