Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "D.J." <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/26 19:03:22 UTC

[users@httpd] OpenBSD 4.1 Installation Problem With Apache 2.2.6

Hello all, hopefully you can help.

Starting installation: OpenBSD v4.0, Apache v2.2.4, PHP v5.2.1

I had a problem with my web server that all started with what appeared
to be a hard drive trying to fail.  Long and short of it, after some
disk diags, it turned out that the system just wanted powered off and
back on instead of rebooted.  Unfortunately after this, my
installation of Apache with PHP decided it didn't want to work any
longer.  I receive this wonderful error when trying to start Apache:

Syntax error on line 232 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot
load /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server: Cannot load
specified object

Obviously, it's upset with PHP for some reason.  Commenting the line
allows Apache to start, but obviously PHP is out, and that does me no
good whatsoever considering my entire site relies upon it.

(I have another module installed also that causes Apache to fail to
start, all modules must be disabled for Apache to decide to run.)

I started with PHP since it seemed to be causing the issue, and given
I was 4 minor revisions behind, recompiled and reinstalled PHP from
the new 5.2.5 source making my new installation:

OpenBSD v4.0, Apache v2.2.4, PHP v5.2.5

This had no effect whatsoever.  I can see that it's a new .so sitting
in the proper path referred to in the Apache conf.  A co-worker
suggested since I had some weirdness with OpenBSD that started this
mess to reinstall it.  Since again, I was behind the times, I
performed an upgrade to OpenBSD 4.1.  Yes, I know 4.2 is available,
but you have to upgrade one revision at a time.  This made my new
installation:

OpenBSD v4.1, Apache v2.2.4, PHP v5.2.5

Again, no luck.  I finally decided to attack Apache, and this is where
you all come in.  I then attempted to compile and install 2.2.6 from
source but immediately was shut down with this error:

*** BEGIN COMMAND LINE CAPTURE***

phoenix# ./configure --enable-so
checking for chosen layout... Apache
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking build system type... i386-unknown-openbsd4.1
checking host system type... i386-unknown-openbsd4.1
checking target system type... i386-unknown-openbsd4.1

Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...

checking for APR... sed: "./srclib/apr/include/apr_version.h": No such
file or directory
configure: error: failed to find major version of bundled APR
phoenix#

*** END COMMAND LINE CAPTURE***

I've been unable to find anything useful via Google, the FAQ, or
BugZilla on what is happening here.  If at all possible, I'd like to
just fix why Apache refuses to load modules now if at all possible,
but I'll take help on getting the new Apache to at least configure.
Thanks in advance for any help provided.

- D.J.

[users@httpd] Re: OpenBSD 4.1 Installation Problem With Apache 2.2.6

Posted by "D.J." <da...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 26, 2007 1:03 PM, D. J. <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all, hopefully you can help.

<snipped a truckload of other text>

> OpenBSD v4.1, Apache v2.2.4, PHP v5.2.5
>
> Again, no luck.  I finally decided to attack Apache, and this is where
> you all come in.  I then attempted to compile and install 2.2.6 from
> source but immediately was shut down with this error:
>
> *** BEGIN COMMAND LINE CAPTURE***
>
> phoenix# ./configure --enable-so
> checking for chosen layout... Apache
> checking for working mkdir -p... yes
> checking build system type... i386-unknown-openbsd4.1
> checking host system type... i386-unknown-openbsd4.1
> checking target system type... i386-unknown-openbsd4.1
>
> Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...
>
> checking for APR... sed: "./srclib/apr/include/apr_version.h": No such
> file or directory
> configure: error: failed to find major version of bundled APR
> phoenix#
>
> *** END COMMAND LINE CAPTURE***

Found problem.  Apparently another version of apr or apr-util is
hiding on my machine somewhere.  A new ./configure command of:

./configure --enable-so --with-included-apr

...took care of the problem.  Just an FYI for anyone else experiencing
this issue and for user list archive posterity.