Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Lisa Casey <li...@jellico.com> on 2004/11/05 20:30:44 UTC

spamassassin lint

Hi Folks,

Thanks for everyone's help yesterday. I think I have a configuration that
will work for now and that I can tweak if necessary.

I was wondering though - could I post the output of
spamassassin --lint --debug here so folks could look at it and see if there
are any problems there? There's a lot of info, much of which I don't
understand (yet) . There are some error messages which I think are things I
can safely ignore but I don't know for sure.

Thanks,

Lisa Casey

Re: threads

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Lisa Casey wrote:
> Anytime I have started a new thread
> on this list, I have started out by replying to some other message (just to
> get the users@spamassassin.apache.org  e-mail address in the To: field
> (deleting any others that might be in there), then I completely delete the
> subject,  retype a new one, completely delete the text in the body of the
> message then type my message.  This shouldn't break threading AFAIK.  This
> is the same way I created this e-mail.

Yes, it does break threading.  There are additional headers (References:
for instance) which are used by many programs to determine threading.
Those headers are created when you reply to a message, and remain after
you delete the subject and text.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: threads

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Friday, November 05, 2004 5:19 PM -0500 Lisa Casey <li...@jellico.com>
wrote:

It helps to see the actual headers, and unfortunately OE makes that much
more difficult that most email clients. Each message you send has a unique
Message-ID header. When you reply to a message, that message's ID is added
to the new message's References header. It's the References header that's
used by threading email clients to decide how to display related messages
in a thread. A brand new message starting a new thread has no References
header, so it's displayed at the top level of the thread hierarchy.

BTW, Mulberry (what I use) lets me "reply" to a message then select "Create
new message", which effectively deletes the References header (and body and
subject) from the new message while maintaining the addressing information.
Highly recommended.

Re: threads

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Lisa Casey wrote on Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:19:57 -0500:

> This shouldn't break threading AFAIK.

It does. Just because you don't see it that doesn't mean it
doesn't exist. Matt just explained it in detail. So, please just
accept it: new messages are to be posted with the "New Message"
button or whatever it is called on your side. That's what this
button is for. Thanks :-)

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services:

Re: threads

Posted by JP <sa...@b-dub.org>.
> Are you a police officer? If so under what authority?
> {^_^}   (Let's see if I can get him to bi*ch about top posting too.)

Are you a Troll?  Looks that way.

And there is no need for police officers if the community polices itself!

I am very thankful to the folks (though sometimes they could have been
nicer about it) that took the time to point out my mistakes (thread
hijacking and top posting and lack of triming posts......) in effect
helping me to better myself and the community.  If more people did this in
the real world (such as admonishing the @$$H0!3$ that litter, and those
that don't understand that cigarette butts are litter to...) we would all
be better off.

Again it is through the community helping out those that don't "Know
better" that eliminates the need for a "list moderator"

JP

RE: threads

Posted by Noel K Hall II <no...@physicianrecruiting.com>.
Can't we all just get along? =)

From: "Kai Schaetzl" <ma...@conactive.com>

Re: threads

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.

Re: threads

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Re: threads

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Bob Proulx" <bo...@proulx.com>

> See how your message is threaded in with the others?  Look for other
> threads where the subject line changes in mid thread.  Most of those
> are from people "thread-stealing".  Thread-stealing is considered rude
> by many people on the 'net.

And braying about it with loud complaints is pointless. It WILL
happen. Roll with the punches. If a broken email thread is the worst
thing that happens to you before you die even God would be astonished.

{^_^}

Re: threads

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Lisa Casey wrote:
> > and asking you the same: please stop mailing new questions by
> > replying to some other mail. Every email program has something
> > like a "New message" button, please use it!
>
> I'm not sure why this was CC'ed to me.

Because in your message with the subject "spamassassin lint" you
replied to Jason Lixfeld's message titled "BCP for calling per-user SA
after sa-exim" and it did not have anything to do with that discussion.

> Anytime I have started a new thread on this list, I have started out
> by replying to some other message (just to get the
> users@spamassassin.apache.org e-mail address in the To: field
> (deleting any others that might be in there), then I completely
> delete the subject, retype a new one, completely delete the text in
> the body of the message then type my message.

Gosh that seems like a lot of work.  It would seem to be easier just
to start a new message and send it to users@spamassassin.apache.org
without doing all of that deleting.  Less error prone too.

> This shouldn't break threading AFAIK.

Yes, that breaks threading because you are replying to a message and
your reply will be threaded in with that other message.  If you know
what you are doing and completely obliterate all of the previous
headers then you can successfully do this.  But it is very easy to get
wrong and much more work.

I read mailing list mail in a mail reader.  It is mail after all.  I
can't show you my mail reader.  But this can be shown by looking at an
archive of the list.  Here is a pointer to the gmane site.  There is
no way for me to point to this index in particular so you would just
need to look down for the 4-Nov-2004 article with the above subjects.

  http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spamassassin.general

See how your message is threaded in with the others?  Look for other
threads where the subject line changes in mid thread.  Most of those
are from people "thread-stealing".  Thread-stealing is considered rude
by many people on the 'net.

> This is the same way I created this e-mail.

And it is also threaded under "BCP for calling per-user SA after
sa-exim".  People not interested in that thread will delete the entire
discussion and never see your message because your message will be
deleted along with that other discussion.

> If this really doesn't work for this list just let me know.

It does not work.  Please don't do it.

Bob

threads

Posted by Lisa Casey <li...@jellico.com>.
Hi,

> and asking you the same: please stop mailing new questions by
> replying to some other mail. Every email program has something
> like a "New message" button, please use it!

I'm not sure why this was CC'ed to me. Anytime I have started a new thread

Re: [semi-OT] - threading and replies Was: spamassassin lint

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Agreed, However, to explain Kai's complaint:

Replying to some unrelated message on the list breaks threaded mail
readers, and the threading system of the list archives. When you reply to a
message, you mailclient includes a "References" header that thread-aware
mail readers can use to display messages that are all one thread. Merely
changing the subject doesn't remove the implication that the message is a
reply.

Those with threaded mail readers will see this whole thread as a sub-thread
of "BCP for calling per-user SA after sa-exim", which is clearly unrelated.

For this reason, If you're creating a new thread, make a new message, don't
reply to an existing thread just to avoid entering the list address.

Re: spamassassin lint

Re: spamassassin lint

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 03:47 PM 11/5/2004, Lisa Casey wrote:
>1) There are several modules listed as "not installed ('require" failed).
>Are these things I'm supposed to have?

No, that just means one of the optional components SA can use was not
installed.

Some features of SA use add-on perl modules. Bayes uses DB_File, for
example. If the modules aren't present, that optional feature of SA is
disabled.

>2) Since I am calling spamassassin from MIMEDefang, shouldn't
>/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf be listed somewhere in here as a config file?

No. SA itself is not aware of, and does not care about mimedefang.

As far as SA is concerned, mimedefang is just another program calling SA.
But when you run spamassassin --lint, it's your shell calling SA. SA
doesn't care about sa-mimedefang.cf any more than it cares about your .bashrc.

>3) What does "debug: plugin:
>Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340) inhibited further
>callbacks" mean?

Debugging information. It's got to do with which plugins want callbacks and
which don't. Unless you're writing your own plugins, it's not of concern to
you.

>4) Is there anything else in here that doesn't look OK?

>debug: diag: module not installed: Net::DNS ('require' failed)

You might want to consider installing Net::DNS. SA needs that to query
RBLs. It's optional, but I'd recommend it.

Other than that, it all looks good to me.

Re: spamassassin lint

Posted by Lisa Casey <li...@jellico.com>.
Hi,

> Sure.. one thing to check first though is --lint without the --debug flag.
> Any output from just plain lint is bad and needs fixing.

Yeah, yesterday spamassassin --lint was giving me some output. Today there's
nothing.

spamassassin --lint --debug however gives a lot of output and I do have
several questions. I'll post the whole thing at the end of this in case
there's something I don't ask about which anyone pickes up on as "not good".

Questions:

1) There are several modules listed as "not installed ('require" failed).
Are these things I'm supposed to have?
2) Since I am calling spamassassin from MIMEDefang, shouldn't
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf be listed somewhere in here as a config file?
3) What does "debug: plugin:
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340) inhibited further
callbacks" mean?
4) Is there anything else in here that doesn't look OK?

 Thanks,

Lisa

debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? yes
debug: Running in taint mode, removing unsafe env vars, and resetting PATH
debug: PATH included '/usr/local/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/X11R6/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/home/lisa/bin', which doesn't exist, dropping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/sbin', keeping.
debug: Final PATH set to:
/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
debug: diag: module not installed: DBI ('require' failed)
debug: diag: module installed: DB_File, version 1.809
debug: diag: module installed: Digest::SHA1, version 2.10
debug: diag: module installed: IO::Socket::UNIX, version 1.21
debug: diag: module installed: MIME::Base64, version 3.05
debug: diag: module not installed: Net::DNS ('require' failed)
debug: diag: module not installed: Net::LDAP ('require' failed)
debug: diag: module not installed: Razor2::Client::Agent ('require' failed)
debug: diag: module installed: Storable, version 2.13
debug: diag: module not installed: URI ('require' failed)
debug: ignore: using a test message to lint rules
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre" for site rules init.pre
debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre
debug: using "/usr/local/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/10_misc.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_anti_ratware.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_body_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_compensate.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_dnsbl_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_drugs.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_fake_helo_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_head_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_html_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_meta_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_phrases.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_porn.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_ratware.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/20_uri_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/23_bayes.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/25_body_tests_es.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/25_hashcash.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/25_spf.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/30_text_de.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/30_text_fr.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/30_text_nl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/30_text_pl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/local/share/spamassassin/60_whitelist.cf
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
debug: config: read file /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL from @INC
debug: failed to load Net::DNS::Resolver: Can't locate Net/DNS.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/URIDNSBL.pm
line 113.

debug: plugin: registered
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340)
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash from @INC
debug: plugin: registered
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x89bda7c)
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF from @INC
debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x899ffd4)
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340)
implements 'parse_config'
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x89bda7c)
implements 'parse_config'
[...]
debug: bayes: 22347 tie-ing to DB file R/O /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 22347 tie-ing to DB file R/O /root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: bayes: Not available for scanning, only 0 spam(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 22347 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 22347 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 22347 untie-ing db_seen
debug: Score set 1 chosen.
debug: ---- MIME PARSER START ----
debug: main message type: text/plain
debug: parsing normal part
debug: added part, type: text/plain
debug: ---- MIME PARSER END ----
debug: bayes: 22347 tie-ing to DB file R/O /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 22347 tie-ing to DB file R/O /root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
debug: bayes: Not available for scanning, only 0 spam(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 22347 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 22347 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 22347 untie-ing db_seen
debug: metadata: X-Spam-Relays-Trusted:
debug: metadata: X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted:
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340)
implements 'parsed_metadata'
debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? no
debug: is DNS available? 0
debug: decoding: no encoding detected
debug: Running tests for priority: 0
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: registering glue method for check_hashcash_double_spend
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x89bda7c))
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_helo_pass
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x899ffd4))
debug: all '*From' addrs: ignore@compiling.spamassassin.taint.org
debug: registering glue method for check_hashcash_value
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x89bda7c))
debug: all '*To' addrs:
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_softfail
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x899ffd4))
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_pass
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x899ffd4))
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_helo_softfail
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x899ffd4))
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_helo_fail
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x899ffd4))
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: running uri tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: registering glue method for check_uridnsbl
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340))
debug: Razor2 is not available
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340)
implements 'check_tick'
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: Razor2 is not available
debug: Current PATH is:
/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
debug: Pyzor is not available: pyzor not found
debug: DCCifd is not available: no r/w dccifd socket found.
debug: DCC is not available: no executable dccproc found.
debug: Running tests for priority: 500
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x84d9340)
implements 'check_post_dnsbl'
debug: running meta tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running uri tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: Running tests for priority: 1000
debug: running meta tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: lock: 22347 created
/root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.Raydeus-Dee.22347
debug: lock: 22347 trying to get lock on /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
with 0 retries
debug: lock: 22347 link to /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: link ok
debug: Tie-ing to DB file R/W in /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
debug: auto-whitelist (db-based):
ignore@compiling.spamassassin.taint.org|ip=none scores 0/0
debug: AWL active, pre-score: -1.053, autolearn score: -1.053, mean: undef,
IP: undef
debug: DB addr list: untie-ing and unlocking.
debug: DB addr list: file locked, breaking lock.
debug: unlock: 22347 unlink /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock
debug: Post AWL score: -1.053
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running uri tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: is spam? score=-1.053 required=10
debug: tests=ALL_TRUSTED,MISSING_DATE,MISSING_SUBJECT,NO_REAL_NAME
debug:
subtests=__HAS_MSGID,__MSGID_OK_DIGITS,__MSGID_OK_HOST,__SANE_MSGID,__UNUSAB
LE_MSGID
[root@Raydeus-Dee mail]#

Re: spamassassin lint

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 02:30 PM 11/5/2004, Lisa Casey wrote:
>I was wondering though - could I post the output of
>spamassassin --lint --debug here so folks could look at it and see if there
>are any problems there? There's a lot of info, much of which I don't
>understand (yet) . There are some error messages which I think are things I
>can safely ignore but I don't know for sure.

Sure.. one thing to check first though is --lint without the --debug flag.
Any output from just plain lint is bad and needs fixing.

Once plain lint runs clean, if you want, go ahead and run a --lint --debug
and ask some questions about that.