Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/08/26 02:19:29 UTC

10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing

A new Derby beta candidate, 10.2.1.1, is now available for testing. This
version fixes many bugs which surfaced in the previous version,
including bugs affecting security, GRANT/REVOKE, and query performance.
Please test-drive this better beta. It's available at
http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.1.1-beta/. You may find a high
level description of the beta effort at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoSnapshot.

Thanks for your help!
-Rick

Re: 10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Dan,

>> Is there a process for updating an existing 10.1 database?
>>
> Yes, the process is described here for 10.0 to 10.1, but it's the
> same for 10.1 to 10.2.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UpgradingTen
>
> It's also documented:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/devguide/cdevupgrades.html

Thank you.  I'll check it out.

Stephen

Re: 10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Stephen Caine wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Is there a process for updating an existing 10.1 database?  I get  this
> error:

Yes, the process is described here for 10.0 to 10.1, but it's the same
for 10.1 to 10.2.

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UpgradingTen

It's also documented:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/devguide/cdevupgrades.html

Dan.

Re: good visual schema browser for derby?

Posted by Michael McCutcheon <mi...@frontiernet.net>.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

As far as development goes, I feel NetBeans 5.5 can't be beat for
Java EE support (Java Persistence API support, etc.)...but I don't
want to stir that hornet's nest :)

Mike

Posted by Charlie Kelly <Ch...@CharlieKelly.com>.

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Mike,

> Can anyone recommend a good visual schema browser that works well
> with derby?
>
> Additionally, are there any graphical tools that allow me to create
> tables, relationships, etc.?

If you are willing to wait a bit, we are in the midst of building a
web based GUI for Derby.  It will be included with our next version
of Qilan.  Although it will be comprehensive, you will still need to
use ij for some functions.

www.qilan.com

Stephen Caine

Re: good visual schema browser for derby?

Posted by Brian Ehmann <be...@gmail.com>.
What values do you use for host, port, and database in Aqua Data Studio?

Posted by Dave Warner <wa...@gmail.com>.
I'm using the DB2 Developer Workbench v9.1 with good results.  It's
available from IBM at no charge.  I was able to add the Derby plug-ins since
DWB is essentially a custom install of Eclipse 3.1

Dave W

Posted by Duncan Groenewald <du...@xtra.co.nz>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Michael McCutcheon wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good visual schema browser that works well
> with derby?
>
> Additionally, are there any graphical tools that allow me to create
> tables, relationships, etc.?
>
> I'm just tired of using IJ.  It feels like using 'bear skins and
> knives' to do database development. (stolen from spock on the
> original star trek).
>
> Netbeans give me some basic stuff but it is too basic I feel.
>
> I'm seen some tools in the past, but the were all geared toward other
> databases and did not work to well with derby.
>
> What tools do you use?
>
> Thanks for any recommendations...
>
> Mike

I think there may be many database tools supporting Derby now.

Anyways, have you looked at SQuirreL ?
http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/SQuirreL_Derby.html

There is also a Beta version of CS Workbench:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/downloads/csworkbench/

-Rajesh

good visual schema browser for derby?

Re: delete a column feature

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Bryan,

> The patch is an attachment to the JIRA issue. Go to http://
> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1489 and look at the "File
> Attachments" section of the web page. You can download the patch
> just by clicking on it.

OK

> To apply the patch, you'll need to learn how to build Derby from
> source code, which is described here: http://db.apache.org/derby/
> derby_downloads.html#Derby+source+code and here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/
> ForNewDevelopers#head-278c37b71407ea38bf6f3310a13d7ebce3e2a32c

This a bit beyond my expertise, although I could probably figure it
out.  When do you expect your patch to be integrated into a beta build?

Stephen

Re: delete a column feature

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
> Where is the patch and how do I 'apply' it?

The patch is an attachment to the JIRA issue. Go to
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1489 and look at
the "File Attachments" section of the web page. You can download
the patch just by clicking on it.

To apply the patch, you'll need to learn how to build Derby
from source code, which is described here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#Derby+source+code
and here:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers#head-278c37b71407ea38bf6f3310a13d7ebce3e2a32c

For additional help, please send a message to the derby-developers
list at derby-dev@db.apache.org. The developers there will be glad
to help you with any problems that you have with building the code
and working with patches, etc.

thanks,

bryan

Re: delete a column feature

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Bryan,

Re: delete a column feature

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
Stephen Caine wrote:

> What we are waiting for is the ability to delete a table column.

It's great to hear that you are having success using Derby!

Regarding the ability to delete a column from a table, you may want
to follow the progress of http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1489

Note that there is a patch currently available for this issue. If
possible, it would be wonderful if you could apply this patch in
your environment and let us know your experiences with the proposed
implementation.

In addition to working directly with the code, community help is
always appreciated in areas such as:
  - testing new features (thanks for testing the beta release!)
  - reviewing and editing documentation
  - and more

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev explains in more detail.

thanks,

bryan

Re: 10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Knut,

>> Can I set the derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade property in
>> the Derby properties file?
>
> Yes, you can.

Did this and it worked just fine, except that for a 40,000 record
database, I am getting timeout errors.  I gather that the update is
dynamic, performing its tasks as the database is accessed.  For a
smaller database, no problems.

This is not a big deal.  I can test with a smaller database.
Actually, "allowPreReleaseUpgrade" is really neat.

We are incorporating Derby into our web product Qilan.  As soon as
10.2 is ready, we want our users to be able to use it.  We are also
building a web based GUI manager for Derby.  You will be able to
create/edit schema, create/edit table data as well as execute SQL.

What we are waiting for is the ability to delete a table column.
This is a significant feature omission in the 10.1 Derby release.

Stephen Caine

Re: 10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com> writes:

> Knut,
>>
>> Upgrade is disabled in alpha and beta releases of Derby, but you can
>> enable it by setting the derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade
>> property (java -Dderby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=true ....).
>> If you set that property, your 10.1 database is booted in soft
>> upgrade mode, which means that the database will still work when
>> you go back to Derby 10.1.
>>
>> If you set the property *and* add ";upgrade=true" to the connection
>> URL, the database will be upgraded to the 10.2 format. In that
>> case, the database cannot be booted with Derby 10.1 any more. And
>> if the database format is changed between the beta and the final
>> release, it might not even be bootable with Derby 10.2.
>>
>> You should absolutely not upgrade a database to 10.2 beta unless you
>> have a backup!
>
> Thank you for the warning.
>
> Can I set the derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade property in the
> Derby properties file?

Yes, you can.

--
Knut Anders

Re: 10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Knut,

> Upgrade is disabled in alpha and beta releases of Derby, but you
> can enable it by setting the derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade
> property (java -Dderby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=true ....).
> If you set that property, your 10.1 database is booted in soft
> upgrade mode, which means that the database will still work when
> you go back to Derby 10.1.
>
> If you set the property *and* add ";upgrade=true" to the connection
> URL, the database will be upgraded to the 10.2 format. In that
> case, the database cannot be booted with Derby 10.1 any more. And
> if the database format is changed between the beta and the final
> release, it might not even be bootable with Derby 10.2.
>
> You should absolutely not upgrade a database to 10.2 beta unless
> you have a backup!

Thank you for the warning.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com> writes:

> Rick,
>
> Is there a process for updating an existing 10.1 database?  I get this error:
>
> An error occured in your webtemplate:
> TYPE: 500
> MESSAGE:DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XJ040, SQLERRMC: Failed to
> start database 'CompanyDB', see the next exception for details.::SQLSTATE:
> XCW00Unsupported upgrade from '10.1' to '10.2 beta'.
> CLASS: javax.servlet.ServletException
>
> CAUSE:
> No cause available
> ROOT CAUSE MESSAGE: DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XJ040, SQLERRMC:
> Failed to start database 'CompanyDB', see the next exception for
> details.::SQLSTATE: XCW00Unsupported upgrade from '10.1' to '10.2 beta'.
> Unknown exception encountered

Hi Stephen,

Upgrade is disabled in alpha and beta releases of Derby, but you can
enable it by setting the derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade
property (java -Dderby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=true ....). If
you set that property, your 10.1 database is booted in soft upgrade
mode, which means that the database will still work when you go back
to Derby 10.1.

If you set the property *and* add ";upgrade=true" to the connection
URL, the database will be upgraded to the 10.2 format. In that case,
the database cannot be booted with Derby 10.1 any more. And if the
database format is changed between the beta and the final release, it
might not even be bootable with Derby 10.2.

You should absolutely not upgrade a database to 10.2 beta unless you
have a backup!

HTH,
--
Knut Anders

Re: 10.2.1.1 beta now available for testing

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Rick,

Is there a process for updating an existing 10.1 database?  I get
this error:

An error occured in your webtemplate:
TYPE: 500
MESSAGE:DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XJ040, SQLERRMC:
Failed to start database 'CompanyDB', see the next exception for
details.::SQLSTATE: XCW00Unsupported upgrade from '10.1' to '10.2 beta'.
CLASS: javax.servlet.ServletException

CAUSE:
No cause available
ROOT CAUSE MESSAGE: DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XJ040,
SQLERRMC: Failed to start database 'CompanyDB', see the next
exception for details.::SQLSTATE: XCW00Unsupported upgrade from
'10.1' to '10.2 beta'.
Unknown exception encountered

Thank you for your time,

Stephen Caine