Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2012/06/06 13:50:16 UTC

Privacy Policies (Plural)

Background: there is an effort underway to add the ability to comment on
pages such as httpd's doc trees, which has lead to a discussion of a
privacy policy for such comments,  Current draft can be found here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/comments/privacy.html

The intent is that it will be exposed to the web at the following location:

http://comments.apache.org/privacy.html

A question has been raised as to whether it needs legal review:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure-dev/201206.mbox/%3C20120606105401.GC5686%40tarsus.local2%3E

Based on a quick search, I see that we have a number of privacy
policies, some examples:

http://tuscany.apache.org/privacy-policy.html
http://logging.apache.org/log4php/privacy.html
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PrivacyPolicy

It is not clear to me if there would be either a need or a desire for
people to coordinate such stuff, but I thought it might be worth tossing
out there to see if there were.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Privacy Policies (Plural)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> It is not clear to me if there would be either a need or a desire for people
> to coordinate such stuff, but I thought it might be worth tossing out there
> to see if there were.

We discussed this a few years ago [1] in relation to Google Analytics.
I think the existing privacy policy statements are based on the lazy
consensus and the resulting draft [2] that came up from that thread.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/q6wzbv7jx2zsvi64
[2] http://markmail.org/message/ybfxyrp6ab7qj6hm

BR,

Jukka Zitting