Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> on 2005/07/17 02:03:20 UTC

Re: SVG Print

Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'm also quite interested in SVG Print. I haven't see much energy behind
> the idea recently, though. IMO the two year old working draft would
> still need a few improvements. I don't know about any printer
> manufacturers supporting SVG though I think Canon is (or was) the
> driving force behind this.

    HP also made some non-trivial contributions.

> With printers starting to support BlueTooth this might become more
> interesting especially when printing from mobile devices.

    Gosh I hope so, but everyone seems to be running down the
XHTML Print path which is ok for really dumb generators who just
want to get a page of text out but for anything with real
graphical content (or really anything with any structure to it)
XHTML/CSS Basic is a total mine field (just look at the web).

> It should be relatively easy to get SVG Print functionality into Batik
> with indirect printing through PostScript as there is a PostScript
> Transcoder available (coming from the FOP project). Otherwise, you can
> simply print to JPS (Java Printing System) by letting Batik render the
> SVG to a Graphics2D instance. The elements defined by SVGP should be
> easy to add.

    Yes adding print support to the transcoders should be fairly
trivial (mostly just a matter of adding a loop and 'faking' an
appropriate SVG element for the page in question).  Adding it to
Squiggle (the browser) would be a bit tricker, as you would probably
want the ability to show thumbnails and traverse links etc...

    Still I don't think it would be a huge task, it strikes me as
a sort of Collage 'Final Project' type thing - about a semesters
worth of work.

> Anyway, SVGP is mostly a hobby for me...

    Yes.