Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/11 20:48:06 UTC

Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Hi All:

Here are two PRs for http-core and http-client for Http2* -> H2*

https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/pull/130
https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-client/pull/152

If you look at these, the next item that stands out are the Http1* types
which feel (to me) should be renamed to H1*. Ironically, this would leave
the H1Config class alone, which started this set of threads.

I then wonder and hope that all classes that start with Http* are generic
to either H1 or H2. What the truth there?

Gary

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:05 AM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will now refresh this thread with some questions from my initial post:
>
> If you look the PRs (Http2 -> H2), the next item that stands out are the
> Http1* types which feel (to me) should be renamed to H1* for _consistency_
> with H2. Ironically, this would leave the H1Config class alone, which
> started this set of threads.
>
> I then wonder and hope that all classes that start with Http* are generic
> to either H1 or H2. What the truth there?

3 days have past since my questions. I have updated (but not squashed) my
PR by adding a commit for renaming "Http1*" types to "H1". This looks much
nicer (to me) than having the oddity of H2* names next to "Http1" names.

Gary

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:23 AM Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 20:39 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 5:37 PM Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
> > wrote:

> > I think should start by merging the two PRs above. This will do the
> > Http2*
> > to H2* change.
> >

> Gary, please do not merge incomplete change-sets.

The changes in the two PR above only deal with Http2 -> H2 so I assume you
mean it is incomplete in that it does not address _all_ the name changes
under discussion. This is indeed the case and I would like to hear from all
so we can provide the best naming. I understand your desire to wait to
merge PR so that's what I'll do.

Gary

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 5:37 PM Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 16:48 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > Here are two PRs for http-core and http-client for Http2* -> H2*
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/pull/130
> > https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-client/pull/152
> >
> > If you look at these, the next item that stands out are the Http1*
> > types
> > which feel (to me) should be renamed to H1*. Ironically, this would
> > leave
> > the H1Config class alone, which started this set of threads.
> >
> > I then wonder and hope that all classes that start with Http* are
> > generic
> > to either H1 or H2. What the truth there?
> >
> > Gary
>
> Gary
>
> Could we please rename `H1` to `Http1` and `Http2` to H2 and move on?

I think should start by merging the two PRs above. This will do the Http2*
to H2* change.

Then I'd like to hear from the folks who have kind enough to opine. I feel
this is important since these names are going to live on for a long time.
This will also give folks a change to look at master with the merged PRs if
they have not peeked at the PRs themselves.

Thank you,
Gary

Re: Http2, H2, Http, Http, H1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.