Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by rm...@montefiore.ch on 2007/03/05 15:50:01 UTC

Problems connecting

Hi experts,
let me explain the situation first & let me tell you that Im really newbie
with application server.

What I done is a Java application (J2ME) that works over cellphone, with
the java toolkit I got an emulator & my application works properly, I send
a request the servlet over Tomcat reply properly... Of course in testing
Im working with localhost:8080/blabla/bla

The point is when I change localhost with a real ip 62.56.xxx.xxx I cannot
connect to the server, but the nice things is if in my cellphone I enter
the address http://62.56.xxx.xxx:8080 I got the tipical welcome page of
Tomcat. So is not the firewall is not the router.. I guess is something
that I have to set up, but trust me I don't know where...

Could you help me pls

Cheers
Roberto

Re: Problems connecting

Posted by Hoa Doan <ge...@yahoo.com>.
If your router have port forwarding try that.

Wayne Bragg <wl...@cox.net> wrote: For what it's worth. I wouldn't be so quick, did he ever say what error page
he was getting from outside? This happened to me and it was because I wasn't
handing off the NEW app code to Tomcat from httpd jk connector ie:
JkMount /what-ever-your-app/*.jsp ajp13worker1. Depends on how he set up
Tomcat. It was an obvious mistake from a newbie.

> The point is when I change localhost with a real ip
> 62.56.xxx.xxx I cannot
> connect to the server, but the nice things is if in my
> cellphone I enter
> the address http://62.56.xxx.xxx:8080 I got the tipical
> welcome page of
> Tomcat. So is not the firewall is not the router.. I guess is
> something
> that I have to set up, but trust me I don't know where...

So:

- You have a NATted network
- From the machine hosting Tomcat, you can connect using localhost
- From the outside world, you can connect using the external IP address
- From inside the NAT, you cannot connect using the external IP address

Is that correct?

If so, this sounds like a common feature with cheap routers - they don't
all route requests for their external IP correctly from within the
NATted subnet.  My old router had this problem.  Buy a better router or
accept that you won't be able to test the application on the external IP
from inside :-).

If any of my assumptions are wrong, tell us - we're going to need more
information about your network to help debug this, I think.

- Peter

9:41 AM

Re: [OT] RE: Problems connecting

Posted by rm...@montefiore.ch.
> [Marking off-topic as this is a network problem, not a Tomcat problem -
> but having the thread in the archive may help others]
>
>> From: rmarra@montefiore.ch [mailto:rmarra@montefiore.ch]
>> For this reason I start to think that is something related with cheap
>> router, my one is a Zystel Prestige 600 & effectly I cannot do a lot..
>
> OK.  Try the following:
>
> - Find a proxy server that you can connect to (most ISPs have a proxy
> server - check the instructions for your account - or use a free one).
>
> - Change your browser to use that proxy server.
>
> - Verify that the proxy works by browsing to www.google.com or similar.
>
> - Now try to browse to your own page using the external IP address.
> Does it work?
>
> - Finally, you probably want to take out the proxy settings from your
> browser.
>
> If it works, the problem is almost certainly the router: browsing from
> inside your network fails, but browsing via a proxy outside your network
> succeeds.  If it still fails, we have more debugging to do.
>
> 		- Peter

Ok I'll let you know if Im able to do that ;-)

[OT] RE: Problems connecting

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
[Marking off-topic as this is a network problem, not a Tomcat problem -
but having the thread in the archive may help others]

> From: rmarra@montefiore.ch [mailto:rmarra@montefiore.ch]
> For this reason I start to think that is something related with cheap
> router, my one is a Zystel Prestige 600 & effectly I cannot do a lot..

OK.  Try the following:

- Find a proxy server that you can connect to (most ISPs have a proxy
server - check the instructions for your account - or use a free one).

- Change your browser to use that proxy server.

- Verify that the proxy works by browsing to www.google.com or similar.

- Now try to browse to your own page using the external IP address.
Does it work?

- Finally, you probably want to take out the proxy settings from your
browser.

If it works, the problem is almost certainly the router: browsing from
inside your network fails, but browsing via a proxy outside your network
succeeds.  If it still fails, we have more debugging to do.

		- Peter

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by rm...@montefiore.ch.
> - You have a NATted network
I guess yes
> - From the machine hosting Tomcat, you can connect using localhost
yes
> - From the outside world, you can connect using the external IP address
yes
> - From inside the NAT, you cannot connect using the external IP address
yes, but in this case is not completely true, coz I can (using Apache on
port 85 - 80 reply the router) get access

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: rmarra@montefiore.ch [mailto:rmarra@montefiore.ch]
> Subject: Re: Problems connecting
>
> Ok I tried, if in the emulator I use the real IP I got the
> same problem I cannot connect. Thru my favorite browser (of
> course firefox) if I put http://62.56.xxx.xxx:8080 I got
> back an error page...

What error page?  You need to provide explicit, exact details.  Does
your server box have its own firewall that's blocking port 8080 from the
outside?  (You didn't tell us what platform you're running Tomcat on, or
even what version of Tomcat.)

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Problems connecting

Posted by rm...@montefiore.ch.

Re: Problems connecting

Posted by Nicolas Schwartz <ni...@airweb.fr>.
Hi,

rmarra@montefiore.ch wrote:
> Hi experts,
> let me explain the situation first & let me tell you that Im really newbie
> with application server.
>
> What I done is a Java application (J2ME) that works over cellphone, with
> the java toolkit I got an emulator & my application works properly, I send
> a request the servlet over Tomcat reply properly... Of course in testing
> Im working with localhost:8080/blabla/bla
>
> The point is when I change localhost with a real ip 62.56.xxx.xxx I cannot
> connect to the server, but the nice things is if in my cellphone I enter
> the address http://62.56.xxx.xxx:8080 I got the tipical welcome page of
> Tomcat. So is not the firewall is not the router.. I guess is something
> that I have to set up, but trust me I don't know where...
>
> Could you help me pls
>
> Cheers
> Roberto

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by rm...@montefiore.ch.
Ok what I did is uncomment this part in server.xml

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>

I don't know if is the right one...

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by rm...@montefiore.ch.
<<< No Message Collected >>>

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by rm...@montefiore.ch.
> I'm still not clear on what the problem is.  Are you saying your
> application doesn't function properly when accessed from the cell phone?
> What does happen when you try to do so?  (Tell us exact error messages,
> etc.)

The error is intercepted by the application in a try catch construct and
happen when I open an HTTP/GET connection. From the Tomcat log folder
there are nothing

> You can also enable the AccessLogValve in
> server.xml to see if the request ever reaches Tomcat.

I don't have any idea how to do that but I'll start to have a look of the
file

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: rmarra@montefiore.ch [mailto:rmarra@montefiore.ch]
> Subject: RE: Problems connecting
>
> The point Chuck is that really I don't know could be my
> application, but then why it works with localhost & not
> via real IP,

I'm still not clear on what the problem is.  Are you saying your
application doesn't function properly when accessed from the cell phone?
What does happen when you try to do so?  (Tell us exact error messages,
etc.)  If it is just the app that's not working, look in the Tomcat logs
for possible problems.  You can also enable the AccessLogValve in
server.xml to see if the request ever reaches Tomcat.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by rm...@montefiore.ch.

>> The point is when I change localhost with a real ip
>> 62.56.xxx.xxx I cannot connect to the server, but
>> the nice things is if in my cellphone I enter the
>> address http://62.56.xxx.xxx:8080 I got the tipical
>> welcome page of Tomcat.
>
> The above statement is self-contradictory: in one part you say you
> cannot connect to the server, but then immediately demonstrate that you
> are able to do so.  What's the real problem?
>
>  - Chuck

The point Chuck is that really I don't know could be my application, but
then why it works with localhost & not via real IP, I know that 127.0.0.1
don't go out... but since Im not an expert of network stuff I can't figure
it out.

RE: Problems connecting

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.