Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Emond Papegaaij <em...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/25 07:51:00 UTC

CVE-2021-23937: Apache Wicket: DNS proxy and possible amplification attack

A DNS proxy and possible amplification attack vulnerability in
WebClientInfo of Apache Wicket allows an attacker to trigger arbitrary
DNS lookups from the server when the X-Forwarded-For header is not
properly sanitized. This DNS lookup can be engineered to overload an
internal DNS server or to slow down request processing of the Apache
Wicket application causing a possible denial of service on either the
internal infrastructure or the web application itself.

This issue affects Apache Wicket Apache Wicket 9.x version 9.2.0 and
prior versions; Apache Wicket 8.x version 8.11.0 and prior versions;
Apache Wicket 7.x version 7.17.0 and prior versions and Apache Wicket
6.x version 6.2.0 and later versions.

Mitigation:

Sanitize the X-Forwarded-For header by running an Apache Wicket
application behind a reverse HTTP proxy. This proxy should put the
client IP address in the X-Forwarded-For header and not pass through
the contents of the header as received by the client.

The application developers are recommended to upgrade to:
- Apache Wicket 7.18.0
<https://wicket.apache.org/news/2021/04/06/wicket-7.18.0-released.html>
- Apache Wicket 8.12.0
<https://wicket.apache.org/news/2021/03/31/wicket-8.12.0-released.html>
- Apache Wicket 9.0.0
<https://wicket.apache.org/news/2021/03/30/wicket-9.3.0-released.html>

Credit:

Apache Wicket would like to thank Jonathan Juursema from
Topicus.Healthcare for reporting this issue.

Apache Wicket Team

Re: CVE-2021-23937: Apache Wicket: DNS proxy and possible amplification attack

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 26, 2021, 18:37 Mihir Chhaya <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.
>
> We have something like below in our code. Will this be enough or still we
> need to replace the jar file?

The CVE is about usage of Wicket APIs.

Anything you do in your app code is your responsibility to make sure is
secure.

Posted by Mihir Chhaya <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the reply.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Please use users@ or dev@. There is nothing to announce@

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 5:36 PM Mihir Chhaya <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for sharing this information.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Will there be any upgrades from Wicket-CDI, Wicket-bootstrap etc.
> libraries related to this Vulnerability?

wicket-cdi is part of Apache Wicket releases, so there is nothing more to
do.
wicket-bootstrap could be used with any version of Wicket, as long it is
binary compatible, i.e. same major version.

> 2. If yes, then should I wait for those libraries or go ahead and put the
> core Apache Wicket libraries first and then upgrade other libraries when
> available?

Just update wicket-core to a version with the fix.

Posted by Mihir Chhaya <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mihir Chhaya <mi...@gmail.com>.