Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bart Ophelders <ba...@hotmail.com> on 2009/04/23 16:13:50 UTC

Apache HTTP before Tomcat

Hi,

If I put an Apache HTTP server in front of Tomcat, will this influence performance?

Thanks in advance!

Bart Ophelders

Re: Apache HTTP before Tomcat

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Bart Ophelders wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I put an Apache HTTP server in front of Tomcat, will this influence performance?

Yes, but probably not in the way you are expecting.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 23.04.2009 16:13, Bart Ophelders wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I put an Apache HTTP server in front of Tomcat, will this influence performance?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Latency goes up somewhere in the two digit millisecond range. Whether
that matters depends on your use cases.

For real life applications performance is dominated by application code
and neighbouring systems (databases, mainframe etc.). Since Apache is
very scalable, in real life cases throughput will not change.

When doing tests, always make a distinction between latency (how long do
requests take) and throughput (how many requests per second are
possible), and keep your investigations focused on the non trivial part
(i.e. not measuring static content).

Finally: your total ressource usage (CPU, Memory) will increase
(Apache+Tomcat).

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Apache HTTP before Tomcat

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Bart Ophelders [mailto:bartophelders@hotmail.com]
>> If I put an Apache HTTP server in front of Tomcat, will this
>> influence performance?
>
> Yes.
:-)

RE: Apache HTTP before Tomcat

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Bart Ophelders [mailto:bartophelders@hotmail.com]
> If I put an Apache HTTP server in front of Tomcat, will this
> influence performance?

Yes.

                - Peter