Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by asdf <fi...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/09 16:44:25 UTC

Disabling the svn lock, unlock commands

What's the best way to completely disable the svn lock (and unlock)
commands so that no one can exclusively lock a file out for
modifications?

There doesn't appear to be a ./configure time option such as
"--disable-locking" to do this at the source level or at build time, so
I was thinking of adding pre-lock and pre-unlock hook scripts that just
return 0.

Would this work? Or would I need to do something else besides the
pre-lock and pre-unlock hook scripts to accomplish this?

My reason for wanting to disable the locking commands of Subversion
altogether is that I am planning on migrating my team of developers
from
PVCS to Subversion, and they are already used to PVCS'
lock-modify-unlock model to the point where some developers will lock
source files for weeks at a time.

Thanks!

Re: Disabling the svn lock, unlock commands

Posted by Robert Wenner <ro...@atsec.com>.
On Wednesday 09 August 2006 15:21, asdf wrote:
> But instead of encouring my developers to continue
> on with their (bad IMO) habits of locking files for long periods of
> time,

They...

> I'd like to remove the ability to lock files altogether. PVCS'
> lock-modify-unlock model has, in our experience, caused a lot of
> problems
> with concurrency and co-operative development.

... and you.

Are you sure your developers share your opinion?
If so, it should be easy to get rid of the locking habbit, shouldn't it?

Your description sounds to me as if you try to solve a mentality / people
problem by technical means, and I doubt that will be successful.

Cheers,

Robert

Re: Disabling the svn lock, unlock commands

Posted by asdf <fi...@yahoo.com>.
--- Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net> wrote:

> And you do realize that, with up-to-date versions of Subversion, you
> can
> force a lock to be broken as an ordinary user?

Yes I am aware of this. But instead of encouring my developers to

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Posted by asdf <fi...@yahoo.com>.
--- Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2006, at 18:44, asdf wrote:
>
> > What's the best way to completely disable the svn lock (and unlock)
> > commands so that no one can exclusively lock a file out for
> > modifications?
>
> > I was thinking of adding pre-lock and pre-unlock hook scripts that
>
> > just
> > return 0.
>
> 0 means "success" so you'd want to return anything other than 0, for
>
> example 1. Probably also want to output a message to stderr (not
> stdout) explaining why you've disabled it, so users aren't confused.

Right... I got my return values mixed up, thanks for pointing that out!

Re: Disabling the svn lock, unlock commands

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 8/9/06, asdf <fi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What's the best way to completely disable the svn lock (and unlock)
> commands so that no one can exclusively lock a file out for
> modifications?
>
> There doesn't appear to be a ./configure time option such as
> "--disable-locking" to do this at the source level or at build time, so
> I was thinking of adding pre-lock and pre-unlock hook scripts that just
> return 0.
>
> Would this work? Or would I need to do something else besides the
> pre-lock and pre-unlock hook scripts to accomplish this?

Yeah, that's what you should do, a pre-lock script that always returns
error will keep anyone from locking files.

-garrett