Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Van Nguyen <vn...@ur.com> on 2006/09/26 03:10:55 UTC

Caused by: java.io.IOException: The handle is invalid

I'm getting an error while trying to build my index:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: The handle is invalid

          at java.io.RandomAccessFile.close0(Native Method)

          at java.io.RandomAccessFile.close(RandomAccessFile.java:532)

          at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSIndexOutput.close(FSDirectory.java:507)

          at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.write(SegmentInfos.java:91)

          at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter$4.doBody(IndexWriter.java:726)

          at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock$With.run(Lock.java:99)

          at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:724)

          at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:686)

          at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.maybeMergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:
674)

          at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(IndexWriter.java:479)

          at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(IndexWriter.java:462)

I only get this error when using the server version of jvm.dll with my
JBoss app server... but when I use the client version of jvm.dll, the
same index builds just fine.

Has anyone ever experienced this situation?

Van

Re: Caused by: java.io.IOException: The handle is invalid

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Van Nguyen wrote:

> I only get this error when using the server version of jvm.dll with my
> JBoss app server… but when I use the client version of jvm.dll, the same
> index builds just fine.

This is an odd error.  Which OS are you running on?  And, what kind of
filesystem is the index directory on?

It's surprising that client vs server JRE causes this.

Is the exception easily reproduced or is it intermittent?

Mike