Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2014/10/14 15:15:21 UTC

Notes from my first release testing

Hi Isis devs,

During the testing of Isis 1.7.0 I've made the following notes.
These are just minor things. The testing process is clear in overall.

Notes about http://isis.apache.org/contributors/verifying-releases.html

- "Any other ASF member may also vote."
I could not say that I know all Apache rules and prescriptions (I often
don't agree with some of them) but I find this sentence a bit confusing.
My understanding is that anyone can vote. But PMC members' vote only can
fail the release.
One way is if a PMC member vote negatively because of some technical
problem, for example.
Another way is if less than 3 PMC members have casted their votes. At
Wicket and Tomcat PMC's votes are counted as "binding", non-PMC members and
users as "non-binding".
Even that I am ASF Member (http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html)
Tomcat counts my votes as "non-binding" because I am not Tomcat PMC member.

Notes about
http://isis.apache.org/contributors/verifying-releases-script.html:

- "Copy (or download"
It seems the parentheses are not closed

- "and should work on Linux too"
Tested the script on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04)
I've saved it with the browser's "Save As". The only thing I had to do
manually is to change the line endings from Windows to Linux.

About the VOTE mail:

- Why the url to the Maven staging repo is not shared with the testers ?
"the binaries are not an ASF release, they merely exist on the Maven
central repo as a convenience". But last several years this is what
actually the users download and use. Very rarely someone would build from
source.
I suggest to share the staging repo url in the VOTE mail so it can be
tested too.
https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheisis-1026/
doesn't seem like the staging repo. I've deleted
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/isis and tried to use this as an extra release
<repository> but Maven wasn't able to resolve 1.7.0:

The project
org.isisaddons.app.kitchensink:isis-app-kitchensink:1.0-SNAPSHOT
(/home/martin/git/isis-app-kitchensink/pom.xml) has 2 errors
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable import POM: Could not transfer artifact
org.apache.isis.core:isis:pom:1.7.0 from/to apache.snapshots (
https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheisis-1026/):
Not authorized , ReasonPhrase:Unauthorized. @ line 298, column 16 -> [Help
2]
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable import POM: Could not transfer artifact
org.apache.isis.viewer:isis-viewer-wicket:pom:1.7.0 from/to
apache.snapshots (
https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheisis-1026/):
Not authorized , ReasonPhrase:Unauthorized. @ line 306, column 16 -> [Help
2]

I hope you find my notes useful !

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Re: Notes from my first release testing

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Martin,

thanks for taking the time to do this; all useful.  Comments below.

Annoyingly, I'm going to have to pull 1.7.0-RC1, as I found a minor defect
when testing last night.  So - if you want - you could try out these
revised procedures when I send out the next vote email.

Cheers
Dan

On 14 October 2014 14:15, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Isis devs,
>
> During the testing of Isis 1.7.0 I've made the following notes.
> These are just minor things. The testing process is clear in overall.
>
> Notes about http://isis.apache.org/contributors/verifying-releases.html
>
> - "Any other ASF member may also vote."

clarified wording.

> Notes about
> http://isis.apache.org/contributors/verifying-releases-script.html:
>
> - "Copy (or download"
> It seems the parentheses are not closed

fixed.

> - "and should work on Linux too"
> Tested the script on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04)

changed to say it does work.  Also added a link for Windows users, per use
of msysgit as an alternative to cygwin

> About the VOTE mail:
>
> - Why the url to the Maven staging repo is not shared with the testers ?

> I suggest to share the staging repo url in the VOTE mail so it can be

tested too.

> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheisis-1026/
> doesn't seem like the staging repo.

OK, now fixed (see wording in 'Start voting thread on dev@isis.apache.org"
section in http://isis.apache.org/contributors/release-process.html)

You were right; although those URLs are ok for downloading the source, they
aren't actually a Maven staging repo.  I don't know if this changed with an
upgrade to Nexus, or was always wrong, but at any rate the URLs now
referenced can be used both for download of source ZIPs and also as Maven
repos.

I've also updated the
http://isis.apache.org/contributors/verifying-releases.html page to explain
how to setup the settings.xml (for those not acquainted with the mystical
workings of Maven).