Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Ed Summers <eh...@pobox.com> on 2007/09/17 02:43:41 UTC

python client

If necessary I'd like to help out getting SOLR-216 [1] applied. The
python client that's currently in the trunk is horribly broken with
the server implementation. What remains to be done?

//Ed

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-216

Re: python client

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 19-Sep-07, at 6:45 PM, Ed Summers wrote:

> So I agree there is no urgency on getting the new implementation
> checked in. I didn't realize yonik was going to update the existing
> client.

Neither did I.  He's full of surprises <g>.

-Mike

Re: python client

Posted by Ed Summers <eh...@pobox.com>.
On 9/19/07, Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this still the case?  I'd be more inclined to check it in if 1. It
> didn't fail badly in the case of unicode and 2. Yonik hadn't fixed
> the current client but days ago.

I stand corrected the solr.py in svn now works, instead of barfing on
the new solr response format as it did a few days ago. I didn't check
if it handled unicode correctly...that can wait for a test suite :-)

--
r577338 | yonik | 2007-09-19 11:55:56 -0400 (Wed, 19 Sep 2007) | 1 line

make solr.py work with current server

Re: python client

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 19-Sep-07, at 5:59 PM, Ed Summers wrote:

> On 9/19/07, Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not trying to be obtuse or anything, but could you elaborate on
>> what problems are caused by not having the file checked in?  After
>> all, it is a single file that can be just plopped into the client/
>> directory in your branch.
>
> The problem of writing unittests against code that isn't checked in
> and under revision control.

Hmm?  We typically check in code and tests at the same time.

I don't see a point developing test cases against the current checked-
in solr.py; I'd envision:

1. check out trunk
2. download the new solr.py from JIRA
3. write unittest_solr.py (or whatever) that passes against the new
solr.py
4. upload both to the JIRA issue, and so they can be checked in
simultaneously.

> Actually the main problem is that what's
> in the ticket works (partially at least) and what is in svn doesn't
> work at all.

Is this still the case?  I'd be more inclined to check it in if 1. It
didn't fail badly in the case of unicode and 2. Yonik hadn't fixed
the current client but days ago.

thanks,
-Mike

Re: python client

Posted by Ed Summers <eh...@pobox.com>.
On 9/19/07, Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not trying to be obtuse or anything, but could you elaborate on
> what problems are caused by not having the file checked in?  After
> all, it is a single file that can be just plopped into the client/
> directory in your branch.

The problem of writing unittests against code that isn't checked in
and under revision control. Actually the main problem is that what's

Re: python client

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 19-Sep-07, at 11:33 AM, Ed Summers wrote:

> On 9/18/07, Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm afraid it exists only in my imagination <g>
>
> IMHO it would be easier to work on said tests if the new client was in
> svn. The current python client checked into svn after all is totally
> broken, so committing what's in SOLR-216 [1] isn't going to cause any
> problems.

Actually Yonik make a few tweaks to fix the existing client in the
interim.

Re: python client

Posted by Ed Summers <eh...@pobox.com>.

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-216

Re: python client

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: python client

Posted by Ed Summers <eh...@pobox.com>.

Re: python client

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 16-Sep-07, at 5:43 PM, Ed Summers wrote:

> If necessary I'd like to help out getting SOLR-216 [1] applied. The
> python client that's currently in the trunk is horribly broken with
> the server implementation. What remains to be done?

It is on my list of things to review, though I'm working on a release
deadline and haven't had much solr time.

The most important thing that is lacking in my mind is a test suite.
It is great that you identified the unicode bug, but I would feel
much better if we could add that test case to unittest_solr.py and
verify that it doesn't recur in the future.  This would also catch
cases such as the client getting out of sync with the server.

We could make it run against the example, frinstance.

-Mike