Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/25 00:01:44 UTC

Re: Just curious: Is anyone actively maintaining Xalan these days?

I RM'd the 2.7.2 release years ago. I know there are patches waiting to be
tested... it just has not been a priority for me, unfortunately. So I think
it would be fair to say that it is not being actively maintained, but I
would jump back in if I had the need. There is also very little knowledge
on how to build and which branch means what. I've asked many times on this
ML for help and all I got was crickets.

Gary

Posted by Nicolas Grégoire <ni...@agarri.fr>.
> There are also outstanding patches to apply [...]

I found a bunch of security vulnerabilities in Xalan-C, and I'd be glad
to report them if the project gets active again...

Regards,
Nicolas

Re: Just curious: Is anyone actively maintaining Xalan these days?

Posted by Roger Leigh <rl...@codelibre.net>.
On 25/08/2018 00:01, Gary Gregory wrote:
> I RM'd the 2.7.2 release years ago. I know there are patches waiting to
> be tested... it just has not been a priority for me, unfortunately. So I
> think it would be fair to say that it is not being actively maintained,
> but I would jump back in if I had the need. There is also very little
> knowledge on how to build and which branch means what. I've asked many
> times on this ML for help and all I got was crickets.

There are also outstanding patches to apply from FreeBSD:

   https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/textproc/xalan-c/files/

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/textproc/xalan-c/files/patch-src_xalanc_PlatformSupport_XalanLocator.hpp?revision=401253&view=markup

or Homebrew:

   https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/xalan-c.rb

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/formula-patches/master/xalan-c/xerces-char16.patch

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/formula-patches/master/xalan-c/locator-system-id.patch

and they also exist in Debian and other Linux distributions patchsets as
well.  Xalan is not usable without these bugfixes.

A point release with just these fixes would be appreciated.  It needs
updating for current platforms and the current Xerces-C++ release.

Additionally, after strugging to build it at all on Unix (the wrapped
autoconf build is very inflexible, with options not being used
appropriately in autoconf itself), and on Windows with very outdated
project files, I reimplemented the whole build system in CMake to allow
it to be built easily on all platforms:

   https://github.com/rleigh-codelibre/xalan-c/commits/cmake-build

Being able to build it is a prerequisite for being able to effectively
maintain it.  This matches and integrates with the CMake support I have
already contributed to Xerces-C++.

I'd love to be able to contribute this for inclusion upstream, with any
appropriate revisions required.  But it does need someone to review and
merge it.

Regards,
Roger