Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/01 22:09:49 UTC

menu context without a site.xml entry

How can one get the menu to maintain some context with no entry in
site.xml?  For example, if the uri is "/category/News/entry1.html" and
the site.xml was:

  <blog label="Categories" href="blog/">
    <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="My Sample Web Blog"/>
    <news label="News" href="News/" description="Thoughts on the
current events">
      <news-index label ="news" href="index.html"/>
    </news>
    <sports label="Sports" href="Sports/" description="Thoughts on sports">
      <sports-index  href="index.html"/>
      <entry1 label="test" href="entry1.html"/>
    </sports>
  </blog>

Since entry1.html is logically subordinate to the 'News' site.xml
label, it seems like I should be able to keep that node "selected".
I've even tried putting an entry under "news" node without a label
(even thought that's not a reasonable solution) and it doesn' work.  I
guess I would expect it to "fallback" similiar to the tabs.  In the
case of a menu-entry I suppose falling back would be to it's immediate
directory, then parent, etc.

any help would be appreciated.
--tim

Re: menu context without a site.xml entry

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > > guess I would expect it to "fallback" similiar to the tabs.  In the
> > > case of a menu-entry I suppose falling back would be to it's immediate
> > > directory, then parent, etc.
> >
> > Perhaps the Java code that deals with this needs
> > to be enhanced. Many people have grappled with this
> > problem, so there is obviously a need.
>
> I hadn't seen reference to any Java code, probably overlooked
> something.  I'll have to dig into it a bit more.  ... [snip]

Cocoon block LinkRewriterTransformer

-David

Re: menu context without a site.xml entry

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/05, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> > How can one get the menu to maintain some context with no entry in
> > site.xml?
>
> With the current system, i don't think we can.
> That is specifically mentioned at [1] below.
>
> >  For example, if the uri is "/category/News/entry1.html" and
> > the site.xml was:
> >
> >   <blog label="Categories" href="blog/">
> >     <index label="Index" href="index.html" description="My Sample Web Blog"/>
> >     <news label="News" href="News/" description="Thoughts on the
> > current events">
> >       <news-index label ="news" href="index.html"/>
> >     </news>
> >     <sports label="Sports" href="Sports/" description="Thoughts on sports">
> >       <sports-index  href="index.html"/>
> >       <entry1 label="test" href="entry1.html"/>
> >     </sports>
> >   </blog>
> >
> > Since entry1.html is logically subordinate to the 'News' site.xml
> > label, it seems like I should be able to keep that node "selected".
>
> We should, but can't.
>
> > I've even tried putting an entry under "news" node without a label
> > (even thought that's not a reasonable solution) and it doesn' work.
>
> That sounds strange. That should work with the
> current system. The tips [1] explicitly mention that.

I read that which is what caused me to try it.  Unfortunately, it
appears neither of us kept reading to the last sentence. (e.g. it
allows the correct tab to be highlighted but collapses the menu).:

" When the tab points to a directory, then to make the tab highlighted
when selected, you need an element which matches index.html within the
group of elements that define the menus for this tab in the site.xml
file. That element can be without a label attribute, so that it
doesn't display as a menu item. However doing that causes that tab's
menus to be collapsed."

> > guess I would expect it to "fallback" similiar to the tabs.  In the
> > case of a menu-entry I suppose falling back would be to it's immediate
> > directory, then parent, etc.
>
> Perhaps the Java code that deals with this needs
> to be enhanced. Many people have grappled with this
> problem, so there is obviously a need.

I hadn't seen reference to any Java code, probably overlooked
something.  I'll have to dig into it a bit more.  I appreciate the
response though -- I didn't want to spend a lot of time looking into
it only to find out I doing something dumb with my site.xml file or
something.  We can't do metadata driven content without this so I
think it's got to be resolved somehow.

> > any help would be appreciated.
>
> Do any of the tips help, about interaction between
> tabs.xml and site.xml
> [1] http://forrest.apache.org/docs/faq.html#tab-site

They haven't yet.

Thanks,