Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Reuben Smith <w0...@hotmail.com> on 1998/05/05 17:24:09 UTC

general/2182: test-cgi security flaw

>Number:         2182
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       test-cgi security flaw
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This is just a bug in the test-cgi script that's distributed with your server.
I occurs when you simply append " *" or something like that to the end of a
server that has the test-cgi script viewable to the public.  It allows the
remote user to list any files on the remote system that the user running
test-cgi can list (i guess it runs as nobody, normally).  This is bad.

I'm sure you don't recommend that people keep that script on their site -- but
at the same time, it's not good to introduce security holes if they do so.
"http://web.foo.com/cgi-bin/test-cgi /*"
>Fix:
just put quotes around the $SERVER_PROTOCOL variable in the script... it might
be an idea to put quotes around all the variables, so that silly problems like
this don't pop up again.