Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca> on 2008/01/29 22:48:38 UTC

Re: Subversion issue 2507: trouble with script

of correspondence, since not only will you get help from many people,
but future Google searchers can benefit as well.]

Dan Morris wrote:
> I am using Subversion informally and I hit this bug (because I didn’t
> realize I didn’t need to use file locks, being a newbie).  So I wanted
> to run the attached Python script to fix my database.  I got the SVN
> binding for Python.
>

> I tried to run the script and it is crashing Python without doing anything.
>
> When I just call “python –m remove-zombie-locks”, I get the help info,
> so I can call the script.
>
> When I just call “python –m remove-zombie-locks c:\<pathname> all”, I
> get a crash.
>
> Also, I don’t know how to use Python to debug the problem.

I'm not sure how the -m parameter may affect execution, but at least it
isn't necessary.

What does "crash" mean?  Can you give the exact error message?

> My version info is:
> Windows XP SP2
> Subversion 1.4.5
> Python 2.5.1 (plus bindings for Python 2.5)
> TortoiseSVN 1.4.7

> Do I have to set myself up as svn admin to execute this?

This script needs to be run by a user that has permission to write to
the svn database files (i.e. local permissions, not svn permissions).

>  Is the script compatible with these versions?

I'm not aware of any reason it shouldn't work, though I have not
personally tested with Python 2.5.  I do use it with the 1.4.6 bindings
on Windows, however.

-Nathan

P.S. As an aside, a patch has been posted by Eric Miller, fixing a bug
in this script.  I haven't had time to review and/or 2nd the request
that it be committed, but you'll probably want to apply it yourself if
you want 100% robustness.