Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by David M <mc...@outlook.com> on 2019/04/05 19:11:54 UTC

Running Hive Without Hadoop?

All,

I'm trying to run a Hiveserver2 instance locally with the latest code out of the repo to test out a few JIRAs. There is some documentation here on how to run Hive without Hadoop, but it is based on ant build protocols: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/DeveloperGuide#DeveloperGuide-RunningHiveWithoutaHadoopCluster

I've tried running mvn package, but when I try to run bin/hive, I get the following error:

Missing Hive Execution Jar: /root/hive/lib/hive-exec-*.jar

What command do I need to use with maven in order to build the binaries in a way that will let me run the binaries in the way I need to do some testing?

Thanks!

David McGinnis

RE: Running Hive Without Hadoop?

Posted by David M <mc...@outlook.com>.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Really I'm just looking for what is the easiest way for me to test a change I'm making to the Hive source code, outside of automated tests? If I want to just compile my changes, and test it through beeline against a Hiveserver2 instance with my code in it, what is the best way to do that?

Your proposal wouldn't do that, but it did give me an idea. Running the command I gave initially gives me the tar balls, so I think I can just take one of those and follow what that docker file does with it instead. My network is causing me fits at the moment, but I'll try this as soon as I can.

I'm sure I'm not the only contributor to Hive who has wanted to do this, so I figured I'd see if anyone else had ideas of what they do to test your changes to Hive in a manual manner.

- -David

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
https://github.com/alanfgates/sqltest/blob/master/dbs/hive/v3_1/Dockerfile