Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Kelvin Tan <ke...@relevanz.com> on 2002/06/12 03:36:18 UTC

SearchService

The intent of a SearchService (following the definition of a Service in
Fulcrum from the Turbine project) is to allow pluggable implementations of
search (and indexing) providers.

Sandbox contains a SearchService, and its Lucene-implementation
LuceneSearchService. Other implementation candidates would include
VeritySearchService, AstawareSearchService, etc. It would even be possible
to implement an aggregator-like SearchService that acts as a facade for two
or more vendor-based implementations. The SearchService would be very
useful for applications that may need to integrate with various
search/index providers.

The current SearchService in Sandbox is actually very tightly coupled to
Lucene, primarily because I don't have experience working with other search
APIs/providers.

If anyone on this list does have this experience, It'd be great if you
could take a look at what's there, and we could discuss refactorings to
introduce to make it implementation-neutral.

Regards,
Kelvin Tan