Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> on 2010/03/01 19:36:55 UTC

Meeting and code merge

Hi all,

Nuxeo would like to invite the architects and coders of Chemistry and
OpenCMIS to a real-life meeting to merge the two libraries into one.

The goal of the meeting would be to agree on one common philosophy for
the core, APIs, and in general architecture of our CMIS library, and
to refactor what's needed to effect the merge and stop having two
separate code bases (which I think we all agree is a waste of
resources). For this meeting we would agree to put technical matters
and excellence first, and not dwell on the past of our respective code
bases.

Nuxeo proposes to host the meeting in Paris, at the end of March or in
April. I think it should last around one week, if we want to be
thorough and not do just half of the work.

The people I'm thinking about are Florian, Jens, David, Stephan and
Martin, but others would be welcome as well — with the understanding
that this will be a design and coding session, and people will have to
be very familiar with the spec and the code base and will have to work
together to do this refactoring (after initial discussions of course).

What do you think? Are there dates that would work better (or not) for you?

Cheers,
Florent

Re: Meeting and code merge

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Nuxeo would like to invite the architects and coders of Chemistry and
> OpenCMIS to a real-life meeting to merge the two libraries into one.

<mentor-hat-on>

I see a number of reasons why this is a very good idea. But I also
have to note my concern about development happening outside of this
community and ask you to double check that, at a very least, all
decisions are brought back to the list for further discussion and,
ideally, the whole discussion and its outcomes are reflected here as
well.

May I actually suggest you make sure an Apache member or two are with
you at the meeting?

</mentor-hat-on>

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846

Re: Meeting and code merge

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Nuxeo proposes to host the meeting in Paris, at the end of March or in
> April. I think it should last around one week, if we want to be thorough
> and not do just half of the work.

To expand on what Gianugo has already said:

<mentor hat on>

There's the Apache Retreat in Ireland on 9th-12th April, which I would
heartily recommend everyone coming to if they can. It will be a great
chance to meet other Apache people, and there will be plenty of others
around to help out with questions, offer advice and guidance, give
examples of where things like this have been done before etc.

Wherever and whenever the F2F meeting occurs, I would suggest
* The agenda is circulated in advance on-list so that others not able to
   attend can comment
* As much as possible of the different plans are put on a wiki / discussed
   on list, again for wider feedback
* At the end of every day, someone must email a summary of the discussions
   to the list
* Nothing should be considered final until it has been agreed in person,
   relayed to the list, and no-one from the list has objected. If
   objections are raised by email, that area needs to be taken out of
   F2F discussions and moved on-list.
* This means that some things will take much longer than the F2F few
   days to resolve, whilst others can be approved of and accepted by
   the community in nearish F2F time
* Architecture drawings, plans etc should be posted to the wiki or the
   list as soon as possible. Make sure discussions end a few hours early
   each day so there's time to document and share the output of it

.. and probably one or two other things that escape me at the moment!

It may seem like quite a bit more work, but based on the experiences of
other apache projects, and newly apache projects (subversion for example
has some good examples of how to do this sort of thing), it really is
required to keep things working smoothly.

It really would be good if one or two of the newer chemistry committers
could make it to the retreat to hear more about this sort of thing from
people who've done it before. Maybe even do the retreat then straight to
Paris for the F2F, if your families will let you be away for that long!

</hat off>

Nick

Re: Meeting and code merge

Posted by Stefane Fermigier <sf...@nuxeo.com>.
Il y a un déjà un sprint IKS qui est prévu fin mars / début avril chez Nuxeo (mais avec un problème de salle)...

  S.

Web: http://www.nuxeo.com/ - Tel: +33 1 40 33 79 87
New: follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sfermigier

RE: Meeting and code merge

Posted by "Goetz, Paul" <pa...@sap.com>.
Hi Florent,

I also think that this is a good idea.
We have to check for travel budget at SAP, but I assume that this won't be a problem.
Like Jens, I would suggest to go for the second week of April, too.
In the meanwhile, we could try to outline a roadmap via mailing list - thus we could focus on the critical issues then in April at the f2f meeting.

Best regards,
Paul

I really would appreciate if we could talk a bit more about integration options. A f2f meeting of course would be the best option. Assuming that we get travel budget approved it would be great to make that happen. Second week of April would be preferred, first week is Eastern and many people are in vacation here.

Jens

Re: Meeting and code merge

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 02.03.2010 18:25, David Nuescheler wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> this definitely sounds like a great idea. thanks florent.
>
> i think there is some vague planning of apache-con europe in spring as well.
> maybe a f2f could be co-hosted. i haven't found a lot of info on apache con
> europe 2010, does someone else know about it?

No, there will not be an official ApacheCon Europe this year.

Noirin Shirley is organizing an Apache Retreat in Ireland from 9th to
12th April. Maybe you are refering to that one ?

Regards
Felix

Re: Meeting and code merge

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@day.com>.
hi guys,

<st...@sap.com> wrote:
> Hi Florent,
>
> Thanks for your proposal, this makes absolutely sense and I would like to join a f2f meeting.
>
> Second week of April means from 12.4. to 16.04., right? That would work for me.
>
> Regards,
> Stephan

Chief Technology Officer
mailto: david.nuescheler@day.com