Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2006/07/21 01:10:30 UTC

trademark issue

Hi *,

each incubator project needs to make sure that no (software)
trademarks are registed against it. There was a *free* seach engine
for doing such a search. But that's history. What todo from now? I
created a ticket in the incubator jira on that, with some *ideas*.
Please check [1].

Thank you,
Matthias

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-27

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: trademark issue

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> ... We searched the "United States Patent and Trademark Office website" and the same for Germany ...

sorry; cut-n-past-error.

-Matt

Re: trademark issue

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Bill,

thanks!

What we did was doing google search for software and trinidad.
We didn't found one. We searched the "" and the same for Germany "".

RE: trademark issue

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Fair enough! /Larry

Re: trademark issue

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

RE: trademark issue

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
William Rowe wrote:
> This is /really/ important.  "Apache" and "Apache Software Foundation"
> are not /registered/ marks.  However, they are under almost every nations'
> laws still a trade mark, with different but not necessarily less
> protection
> than a registered mark.
>
> If someone tried to register "Apache" it would be trivial in any
> jurisdiction
> to shoot down that attempt.  Think of this in terms of protecting the name
> of a new ASF project down-the-road.  The concept here is "First Use in
> Commerce".  If we are first, we have the strongest claim.

Please be cautious here. I'll take this part of the discussion to
legal-internal, but in the meantime please don't assume that being first in
use is all that it takes everywhere in the world.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Stanford University, Lecturer in Law
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
                Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)

Re: trademark issue

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: trademark issue

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On 7/20/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> each incubator project needs to make sure that no (software)
> trademarks are registed against it. There was a *free* seach engine
> for doing such a search. But that's history. What todo from now? I
> created a ticket in the incubator jira on that, with some *ideas*.
> Please check [1].

Personally, I used a combination of
 1) United States Patent and Trademark Office website
 2) google, to avoid software products with the same name, even if
they aren't trademarked
 3) My employer's legal department

-Yonik