Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Kyle Schmitt <ky...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/30 21:01:03 UTC

Interleave controllers and User defined variables

Another probably newb question ....

Is there a way to get user defined variables to work inside of
interleave controllers? I tried plain User Defined Variables inside of
the interleave, and when that didn't work, I tried using simple
controllers to hold them, still no go.

Some details:

I've got a loop controller with an interleave and samplers inside of
it.  I wanted to put variables in the interleave for the samplers to
use...but all the ways I've tried only use the last value.

ascii graphics to try and explain what I'm doing..

Loop (4 times)

--Interleave
----User Defined Variable 1
------area=hi
------index=1
----User Defined Variable 2
------area=thing
------index=2
----User Defined Variable 3
------area=something
------index=3
----User Defined Variable 4
------area=other
------index=4
--end Interleave

--Sampler http://webapp.aspx?select=${index}
----response assertion contains ${area}
--end Sampler

End Loop

Re: Interleave controllers and User defined variables

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30/11/06, Kyle Schmitt <ky...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another probably newb question ....
>
> Is there a way to get user defined variables to work inside of
> interleave controllers? I tried plain User Defined Variables inside of
> the interleave, and when that didn't work, I tried using simple
> controllers to hold them, still no go.
>
> Some details:
>
> I've got a loop controller with an interleave and samplers inside of
> it.  I wanted to put variables in the interleave for the samplers to
> use...but all the ways I've tried only use the last value.
> ascii graphics to try and explain what I'm doing..
>

> Loop (4 times)
>
> --Interleave
> ----User Defined Variable 1
> ------area=hi
> ------index=1
> ----User Defined Variable 2
> ------area=thing
> ------index=2
> ----User Defined Variable 3
> ------area=something
> ------index=3
> ----User Defined Variable 4
> ------area=other
> ------index=4
> --end Interleave
>
> --Sampler http://webapp.aspx?select=${index}
> ----response assertion contains ${area}
> --end Sampler
>
> End Loop

Two problems here:

* The Interleave controller is intended for use with Samplers, or
samplers nested in other controllers. Ultimately there must be a
sampler to execute. When a sampler is found, the other elements are
processed as follows:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/test_plan.html#executionorder

* UDVs are processed according to the level in the tree, not the position:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/build-test-plan.html#scoping_rules

One possible way to do the same would be to use a CSV DataSet with
four lines, each with two columns for the index and area variables.

The manual could be clearer on this ...