Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Misagh Moayyed <mi...@tirasa.net> on 2020/01/16 16:37:02 UTC

Few suggestions on XML content export

Hey Team,

Wanted to share a couple of ideas with you to see if they may be worth following up with JIRAs and PRs:

- While working on Syncope, often times I end up making a change in the admin console (i.e. adding a configuration parameter), and then I export/download the configuration XML, pick out the new changes from the saved XML file to put into my own version of the MasterContent.xml. This works great with one small issue and that is, I have to download and the save file. It would be more comfortable if Syncope offered a way to just view the XML configuration with an export option separately.

- Similarly, it would be even better if I the admin console allowed one to view the XML configuration of an individual item. For example, I would be interested in seeing the XML representation of the new configuration parameter I added in the admin console, or it might be a user object, group, etc.

WDYT?

--Misagh

Re: Few suggestions on XML content export

Posted by Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro <ma...@tirasa.net>.
Il 16/03/21 10:13, Andrea Patricelli ha scritto:
> FYI I've just opened [1] about this topic.
It would be interesting to be able to export and then "import" a single
configuration. Imagine that you need to import configurations from a
test env into a staging env. In this way it's very easy to update a conf.

--
Dott. Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro
Tel. +39 3939065570

http://people.apache.org/~mdisabatino/

Re: Few suggestions on XML content export

Posted by Andrea Patricelli <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Patricelli <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Misagh,

we "struggle" with content management every day, mainly for customer
projects. So everything that simplifies and helps content management is
definitely supported by me.

So if some knowledge/thinks or practical work on this is needed I would
be glad to help.

Il 16/01/20 17:37, Misagh Moayyed ha scritto:
> Hey Team,
>
> Wanted to share a couple of ideas with you to see if they may be worth following up with JIRAs and PRs:
>
> - While working on Syncope, often times I end up making a change in the admin console (i.e. adding a configuration parameter), and then I export/download the configuration XML, pick out the new changes from the saved XML file to put into my own version of the MasterContent.xml. This works great with one small issue and that is, I have to download and the save file. It would be more comfortable if Syncope offered a way to just view the XML configuration with an export option separately.
It would be a good starting point.

> - Similarly, it would be even better if I the admin console allowed one to view the XML configuration of an individual item. For example, I would be interested in seeing the XML representation of the new configuration parameter I added in the admin console, or it might be a user object, group, etc.

I know that is not trivial to implement this, so agree with Francesco.

Moreover, since we are talking about this, it would be helpful also to
have (or think the two proposal above as) a content editor that, in a
way, leads the user to correct filling of the content (id clash,
ordering, complex connector conf JSON, etc.). Even very basic.

> WDYT?
>
> --Misagh

Best regards,
Andrea

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi all,
FYI, on the same topic:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-1540

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Few suggestions on XML content export

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.