Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sergey Livanov <Se...@ukrpost.net> on 2005/04/26 16:10:02 UTC

out of memory error

Pls help me to investigate type of error. Sometimes pages are not
downloaded. We have looked into Log file and found out a message “out of
memory”. When is this error appeared and what do we have to do to avoid this
type of error?

2005-04-25 08:15:10 ApplicationDispatcher[] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

2005-04-25 08:15:11 StandardWrapperValve[action]: Servlet.service() for servlet action threw exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

--
regards,
 Sergey                          mailto:Sergey.Livanov@ukrpost.net

RE: out of memory error

Posted by Mark Benussi <ma...@hotmail.com>.
I hit this issue today, for a host of reasons.

You are getting this error because the ammount of memory allocated to the
JVM running Tomcat has been taken up. This ould be for the following
reasons:

You are doing some large database reads without using a methodology to read
in batches.
You are storing large objects in the request or session.
You may have memory leaks (A term I hate because it implies that there is a
problem in the underlying system but what it actually means is you are
keeping references to objects you no longer require).