Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be> on 2004/05/24 21:49:48 UTC

Fixing break-* properties

Hi,

In attempting to fix the break-before and break-after properties, I noticed
two methods that are commented out in PropertyManager, checkBreakBefore()
and checkBreakAfter() --used in maintenance branch to keep track of possibly
enforced page- or column-breaks.

I can only assume that the intention is that eventually the logic gets moved
out of the PropertyManager, and into the PageLM/FlowLM, via the
childLM.getNextBreakPoss() method and the LayoutManagers corresponding to
the FObjs that have these properties.
There are, AFAICT only 4 types of FO to which break-before and break-after
apply:
- block level: fo:block / fo:block-container
- fo:list-item
- fo:table-row

Adding the necessary activation code to the FObjs to pass these properties
to Layout is easy enough, but I'm still having a bit of difficulty in
'seeing' what needs to be done to handle this in the respective LMs
getNextBreakPoss()... How is LayoutContext involved in this (or isn't it)?

Anybody with a keen eye for these things?

TIA!

Andreas

Re: Fixing break-* properties

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:

Hi Andreas,

its great to have you trying to help with layout.

> Adding the necessary activation code to the FObjs to pass these properties
> to Layout is easy enough, but I'm still having a bit of difficulty in
> 'seeing' what needs to be done to handle this in the respective LMs
> getNextBreakPoss()... How is LayoutContext involved in this (or isn't it)?

Well I believe you need to create a BP with the FORCE flag set and watch for
this in the PageLM.

Chris

Re: Fixing break-* properties

Posted by ar...@cappelino.de.
"Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be> wrote on 24.05.2004
21:49:48:

> There are, AFAICT only 4 types of FO to which break-before and
break-after
> apply:
> - block level: fo:block / fo:block-container
> - fo:list-item
> - fo:table-row

For completeness, add:
- fo:table-and-caption
- fo:table

Maybe this can always be aggregated into a break property on the first
table row, but I'm not 100% sure of that yet.

Arnd
--
Arnd Beißner
Cappelino Informationstechnologie GmbH