Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com> on 2009/06/18 09:54:59 UTC

Hot deployment and datasources

Hi,

Currently, OpenEJB supports hot deployments (ear, war, ...).
There is still databases to configure so (as far as I know), you always need
to stop OpenEJB, change database configuration in openejb.xml and restart.

Before OpenEJB, I was used to work with JBoss AS and something was very
useful. With JBoss, you can deploy an XML file <your name>-ds.xml and JBoss
automatically starts and configures the new datasource.

It would be nice to add such kind of feature in OpenEJB by using the same
kind of configuration, or by adding a file in <module>/META-INF or anything
else.

Is it stupid or useless ?

-----
   Jean-Louis

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Sorry I was writing this mail too late, so I forgot one more point

16- Updating the logging to use the new style Logging APIs not the old
one which uses category stuff.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I know, this is why I said I am not sure that it is going to work
but I think it is nice to have, I think Dain should give us some
feedback about this idea as he is the one who worked a lot in this
area. I hope he will read this mail and comment on it.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Jean-Louis
MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> mnour wrote:
>>
>> 15- Why not to make a more generic layer which OpenEJB can use so
>> people who like to use JDO APIs instead of JPA can do it seamlessly.
>>       May be it is a stupid idea but I really would like to be able to
>> have that :D.
>>

> Hum.
> I worked some month ago on a framework named Data Nucleus which is very
> interesting.
> But the work is huge because JPA and JDO are not similar (from my
> understanding).
>
> Jean-Louis

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK, We can export documentation made available on our Wiki as PDF
from confluence itself. So all what we need to do or organize our
documentation on OpenEJB Wiki and then export it as PDF.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Jean-Louis
MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

>> Maybe it is a good idea to write documents via DocBook that enables to
>> transform it into pdf, html etc. Maybe looking at JBoss DocBook system.
>>

> Yes docbook is a good candidate.
> I've set up a maven environment allowing html (single and multi pages) and
> pdf generation.
> Don't know if it's relevant to use this approach for OpenEJB.
>
> Jean-Louis

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.
>>>more user friendly documentation
>>>--> it isn't always easy to find out something in the web site
>>> --> ability to download the documentation (pdf ?)

Maybe it is a good idea to write documents via DocBook that enables to
transform it into pdf, html etc. Maybe looking at JBoss DocBook system.

Thanks;

> Hi Mohammad,
>
> First, here are some comments.
>

> mnour wrote:
> >
> > 1-   Clustering and OpenEJB.
> > 2-   Scripting for JEE - implementing EJBs in a dynamic scripting
> > language which runs over JVM - Jython and Groovy for example.
> >       A friend of mine while I was working in IBM Egypt made an
> > article about how to make a Groovy enabled Java Portlet working and
> > deployed on
> >       WebSphere Portal Server.
> >
> Don't know how to do or to use that, but it's interesting.
>
> mnour wrote:
> >
> > 3-   Integrating OpenEJB directly into Apache HTTP.
> >
> Don't understand. Can you explain a little ?
>
> mnour wrote:
> >
> > 4-   More about OpenEJB and JCA - specs impl or maybe more examples of
> > integration or documentation about it.
> > 5-   Implementing the ECPerf specs JSR-4.
> > 6-   Implementing the management specs JSR-77.
> > 7-    Implementing the deployment specs JSR-88.
> > 8-   More about JACC and JAAS.
> > 9-   OpenEJB and Java Mail APIs and mail services.
> > 10- OpenEJB and JMS, MDB and other JMS middleware - otherthan ActiveMQ.
> > 11- Integrating OpenEJB and EJBCA - http://www.ejbca.org/ .
> >
> Good to know we are not alone ;-)
> EJBCA has been tested with other application servers (may be WAS Community
> Edition - OpenEJB based). So it might work on OpenEJB
>
> mnour wrote:
> >
> > 12- OpenEJB and JNLP ????
> > 13- OpenEJB and JSR-72
> > 14- Levarging JSR-174 for Management ????
> >

> Other ideas:
>
> - Data sources hot deployment  (initial post)
> - more user friendly documentation
>  --> it isn't always easy to find out something in the web site
>  --> ability to download the documentation (pdf ?)
> - support
>  --> companies are sometimes afraid to go to Open Source because of
> support. We needs for some customers to prove we have 7/7 - 24/24 support
> - monitoring with an administration GUI
>
> to name but a few.
>
> Jean-Louis

Gurkan Erdogdu
http://gurkanerdogdu.blogspot.com

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Good point :)

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Jean-Louis

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Sorry but don't understand :), can you explain more ?

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean....

  See my comments please

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Jean-Louis
MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> Hi Mohammad,
>
> First, here are some comments.
>

> mnour wrote:
>>
>> 1-   Clustering and OpenEJB.
>> 2-   Scripting for JEE - implementing EJBs in a dynamic scripting
>> language which runs over JVM - Jython and Groovy for example.
>>       A friend of mine while I was working in IBM Egypt made an
>> article about how to make a Groovy enabled Java Portlet working and
>> deployed on
>>       WebSphere Portal Server.
>>
> Don't know how to do or to use that, but it's interesting.

:) I didn't mean to use WPS I just was adding some details :), but
sure we will make it within OpenEJB.

> mnour wrote:
>>
>> 3-   Integrating OpenEJB directly into Apache HTTP.
>>
> Don't understand. Can you explain a little ?

I am not sure even that it will be a good idea, but in OpenEJB you can
send ejb calls over HTTP, so I am thinking about making an extension
module for Apache HTTP module to use all features of Apache HTTP
server like load balancing security and all the good stuff of it.

> mnour wrote:
>>
>> 4-   More about OpenEJB and JCA - specs impl or maybe more examples of
>> integration or documentation about it.
>> 5-   Implementing the ECPerf specs JSR-4.
>> 6-   Implementing the management specs JSR-77.
>> 7-    Implementing the deployment specs JSR-88.
>> 8-   More about JACC and JAAS.
>> 9-   OpenEJB and Java Mail APIs and mail services.
>> 10- OpenEJB and JMS, MDB and other JMS middleware - otherthan ActiveMQ.
>> 11- Integrating OpenEJB and EJBCA - http://www.ejbca.org/ .
>>
> Good to know we are not alone ;-)
> EJBCA has been tested with other application servers (may be WAS Community
> Edition - OpenEJB based). So it might work on OpenEJB
>
> mnour wrote:
>>
>> 12- OpenEJB and JNLP ????
>> 13- OpenEJB and JSR-72
>> 14- Levarging JSR-174 for Management ????
>>

> Other ideas:
>
> - Data sources hot deployment  (initial post)
> - more user friendly documentation
>  --> it isn't always easy to find out something in the web site
>  --> ability to download the documentation (pdf ?)
> - support
>  --> companies are sometimes afraid to go to Open Source because of
> support. We needs for some customers to prove we have 7/7 - 24/24 support

For this point, we cam make something like a *commercial support
license* by which *some entity* is obligated to give this kind of
support to customers. But for the *entity* what it is going to be, for
example making a company based on giving support for OpenEJB and even
make special changes based on customer requests, I am not sure I think
we need to dicuss this in more details specially opinions from
contributing in OEJB from long time ago like DBlevins, Dain and Jacek
just to mention a few.

> - monitoring with an administration GUI
>
> to name but a few.
>
> Jean-Louis

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.
>>>monitoring with an administration GUI
What will be the functionality of the administration system? What will it
contain?

* Listing of data sources
* Listing of local EJBs, remote EJBs, MDBs and their JNDI Names
* Pool size of stateless and MDB beans
* Cache size for statefull beans
* Configuration of the openejb xml file
* Start and stop instance
* Deploy and undeploy
* Performance of beans (max/min/average call duration, call numbers etc.)
* Start and stop of services (activemq, hsqldb etc)
* Any otherss.....

Will GUI be based on web application or Rich Desktop Application?

AFAIK, there is an already developed Eclipse plugin for managing server in
Eclipse platform.

Thanks;

--Gurkan

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi Mohammad,

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi...

  Here is my list, notice that some of the ideas are maybe are done
and I forgot about them, some of them maybe addressed in the recent
EJB 3.1 spec - or going to be addressed -,  some of them I claim they
are brand new, and some of them maybe are so silly even to write but I
wanted to get all out of my head about OpenEJB and share it with you
all who knows maybe we get up with a brilliant idea :-):

1-   Clustering and OpenEJB.
2-   Scripting for JEE - implementing EJBs in a dynamic scripting
language which runs over JVM - Jython and Groovy for example.
      A friend of mine while I was working in IBM Egypt made an
article about how to make a Groovy enabled Java Portlet working and
deployed on
      WebSphere Portal Server.

3-   Integrating OpenEJB directly into Apache HTTP.
4-   More about OpenEJB and JCA - specs impl or maybe more examples of
integration or documentation about it.
5-   Implementing the ECPerf specs JSR-4.
6-   Implementing the management specs JSR-77.
7-    Implementing the deployment specs JSR-88.
8-   More about JACC and JAAS.
9-   OpenEJB and Java Mail APIs and mail services.
10- OpenEJB and JMS, MDB and other JMS middleware - otherthan ActiveMQ.
11- Integrating OpenEJB and EJBCA - http://www.ejbca.org/ .
12- OpenEJB and JNLP ????
13- OpenEJB and JSR-72
14- Levarging JSR-174 for Management ????

I hope this list is good enough, and I hope that no one is going to
laugh at me :-) .

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Jean-Louis
MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> Nice to share your point of view.
> Il will try to think about to enrich the discussion.
>

> mnour wrote:
>>
>> You are right, but it is something that we can work at. I will try to
>> make a list of features that we need to make avail to make OpenEJB
>> more production oriented and share it with the team by this weekend.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Jean-Louis
>> MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, definitely.
>>>
>>> My feeling is that OpenEJB is very useful in development and for tests.
>>> Moreover, it provides additional useful feature (embedded, EJB 3.1,
>>> ....).
>>> But, it seems to me that it's not fully production oriented.
>>>
>>> I'm sure we can add some nice features like monitoring, hot deployment,
>>> I'm trying to work on monitoring first to give you prototype.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback.

>>> -----
>>>   Jean-Louis
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> ----
>> Thanks
>> - Mohammad Nour
>> - LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mnour
>> ----
>> - Albert Einstein
>>

> -----
>   Jean-Louis

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.

-----

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
You are right, but it is something that we can work at. I will try to
make a list of features that we need to make avail to make OpenEJB
more production oriented and share it with the team by this weekend.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Jean-Louis
MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> Yes, definitely.
>
> My feeling is that OpenEJB is very useful in development and for tests.
> Moreover, it provides additional useful feature (embedded, EJB 3.1, ....).
> But, it seems to me that it's not fully production oriented.
>
> I'm sure we can add some nice features like monitoring, hot deployment, ...
> I'm trying to work on monitoring first to give you prototype.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>

> mnour wrote:
>>
>> no, it is very logical to have such feature, whether hot-deployed or
>> not, for example in WAS - IBM WebSphere Application Server - you
>> create the JDBC Driver, configure it and then you create a datasource
>> without the need to restart.
>>
>> So, in either way we need that feature for sure.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Jean-Louis
>> MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Currently, OpenEJB supports hot deployments (ear, war, ...).
>>> There is still databases to configure so (as far as I know), you always
>>> need
>>> to stop OpenEJB, change database configuration in openejb.xml and
>>> restart.
>>>
>>> Before OpenEJB, I was used to work with JBoss AS and something was very
>>> useful. With JBoss, you can deploy an XML file <your name>-ds.xml and
>>> JBoss
>>> automatically starts and configures the new datasource.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to add such kind of feature in OpenEJB by using the same
>>> kind of configuration, or by adding a file in <module>/META-INF or
>>> anything
>>> else.
>>>
>>> Is it stupid or useless ?
>>>

>>> -----
>>>   Jean-Louis
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> ----
>> Thanks
>> - Mohammad Nour
>> - LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mnour
>> ----
>> - Albert Einstein
>>

> -----
>   Jean-Louis

----
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Hot deployment and datasources

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Not for the moment, but I hope I will have something running by the end of
this week end.

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Yes, definitely.

-----

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
no, it is very logical to have such feature, whether hot-deployed or
not, for example in WAS - IBM WebSphere Application Server - you
create the JDBC Driver, configure it and then you create a datasource
without the need to restart.

So, in either way we need that feature for sure.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Jean-Louis
MONTEIRO<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, OpenEJB supports hot deployments (ear, war, ...).
> There is still databases to configure so (as far as I know), you always need
> to stop OpenEJB, change database configuration in openejb.xml and restart.
>
> Before OpenEJB, I was used to work with JBoss AS and something was very
> useful. With JBoss, you can deploy an XML file <your name>-ds.xml and JBoss
> automatically starts and configures the new datasource.
>
> It would be nice to add such kind of feature in OpenEJB by using the same
> kind of configuration, or by adding a file in <module>/META-INF or anything
> else.
>
> Is it stupid or useless ?
>

> -----
>   Jean-Louis