Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Alex Golden F-65 coop <ag...@mitre.org> on 2001/06/18 16:59:20 UTC

ServiceManagerClient error

Hello all,

   I've been trying to get a SOAP demo up and running with Tomcat, but
I've been having difficulties... I believe I have Tomcat configured
correctly as browsing to http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter
shows the correct response. However, when I try to test out the client
end by the following command:

   java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter list

   I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
com.sun.xml.parser.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
        at
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(DocumentBuilderFactory.java:80)

        at
org.apache.soap.util.xml.XMLParserUtils.refreshDocumentBuilderFactory(XMLParserUtils.java:112)

        at
org.apache.soap.util.xml.XMLParserUtils.<clinit>(XMLParserUtils.java:79)

        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.<init>(Call.java:87)
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.<init>(Call.java:99)
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.<init>(Call.java:93)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.<init>(ServiceManagerClient.java:81)

        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:216)

   My classpath contains soap.jar, mail.jar, activation.jar and
xerces.jar ... I edited Tomcat's server.xml
file to put xerces.jar in front of Tomcat's classpath... I've been
looking around for a little while and can't
seem to figure out what is wrong, if anyone could help me out it would
be greatly appreciated...

   Thanks,

-Alex

(I'm using: soap 2.2, tomcat 3.2.2, xerces 1.4.0, javamail 1.2 and jaf
1.0.1)

Re: ServiceManagerClient error

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
At 10:59 AM 6/18/2001 -0400, Alex Golden F-65 coop wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>    I've been trying to get a SOAP demo up and running with Tomcat, but
>I've been having difficulties... I believe I have Tomcat configured
>correctly as browsing to http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter
>shows the correct response. However, when I try to test out the client
>end by the following command:
>
>    java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
>http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter list
>
>    I get the following error:
>
>Exception in thread "main" javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
>com.sun.xml.parser.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl.....
>(I'm using: soap 2.2, tomcat 3.2.2, xerces 1.4.0, javamail 1.2 and jaf
>1.0.1)

That happened to me last week, setting up Tomcat on some NT 4.0 machines;
I did get it to work eventually, but I actually ended up taking Tomcat's
parser away altogether, substituting xerces. Specifically, I took
_everything_ away, then began a loop of

   look for the first classnotfound error (class x.y.z or whatever)
   search among the jars for files with text "x/y/z", i.e. defining that class
   put the one I prefer onto the classpath.
   repeat.

It was extremely annoying but actually took less than half an hour after I
stopped trying to figure out what on earth was going wrong. (I'd spent a day
finding that a copy of the source code that was blowing up would run quite
well when I ran it outside of Tomcat, and that setting the system variable
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory had no effect that I could discover,
and so forth and so on. Well, almost a day.) I still don't know what was
wrong. Good luck.

Tom Myers

Re: ServiceManagerClient error

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.

Posted by "Matthew J. Duftler" <du...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi Alex,

It appears as if the first JAXP-compliant parser being resolved is a sun
parser:

> Exception in thread "main" javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
> com.sun.xml.parser.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
>         at

Check your classpath to make sure there are no crimson.jar files, or xml.jar
files. Also, you may have to look through some of your projects to make sure
these files don't appear in any lib\ext directories, or some other
"auto-load" location.

Alternatively, you might be able to get it to work by setting the system
property which JAXP checks to have as its value the class name of the Xerces
class which implements the DocumentBuilderFactory abstract class.

Thanks,
-Matt

Posted by "Matthew J. Duftler" <du...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi Alex,