Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Hal Stone <ha...@clemson.edu> on 2012/09/28 20:58:20 UTC

General planning question

Hello,

Here at Clemson University we are working with VCL in a sandbox environment with hopes of soon giving students remote access to software that is currently only available in our campus computer labs. Our next step is to build a proposal that contains estimates for equipment and support personnel. So for those of you that have been running VCL in production, would you mind sharing details of the resources supporting it at your schools? For example:

*         Server types and configurations

*         Storage (SSD, other)

*         Network bandwidth (internal to VCL infrastructure)

*         People time for systems admin, Image management, other.

One other helpful piece of information is to know how many concurrent connections your environment is built to support, and how does that number compare to your student, faculty, and staff totals (25%, 50% etc)?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Hal

Hal Stone
Director of IT Service Management
Clemson Computing and Information Technology
Clemson University
340 Computer Court
Anderson SC, 29625
864-656-7132

RE: General planning question

Posted by Hal Stone <ha...@clemson.edu>.
Josh,

This is very helpful. Thank you for your time.

Hal

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.

Re: General planning question

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

> [...]

> for equipment and support personnel. So for those of you that have
> been running VCL in production, would you mind sharing details of
> the resources supporting it at your schools? For example:
>

> *         Server types and configurations
>
> *         Storage (SSD, other)
>
> *         Network bandwidth (internal to VCL infrastructure)
>
> *         People time for systems admin, Image management, other.
>
> One other helpful piece of information is to know how many
> concurrent connections your environment is built to support, and
> how does that number compare to your student, faculty, and staff
> totals (25%, 50% etc)?
>
> Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
>
> Hal
>

> Hal Stone Director of IT Service Management Clemson Computing and
> Information Technology Clemson University 340 Computer Court

- --

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu