Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Hiran Chaudhuri <hi...@lrz.fh-muenchen.de> on 1997/09/23 23:20:11 UTC

mod_proxy/1160: Proxy generates SIGSEGV when accessed

>Number:         1160
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Proxy generates SIGSEGV when accessed
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3a1
>Environment:
Linux kernel 2.0.29, no patches.
Compiler GCC 2.7.2.1

(All from Distribution SuSE Linux 4.4.1)
Apache compiled without problems, and the local serving functionality works great.
However, when I configure my clients (Netscape 4.01) to use the proxy and access
aN URL that should be cached the error log contains following:

[Tue Sep 23 22:35:01 1997] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, attempting to dump core in /home/wwwrun

The core file does not exist after that (is it the Linux setup? I don't know...)
Local requests 8i mean URLs that are in the server itself) are delivered without
problems.
>How-To-Repeat:
The URLs I tried to acces were www.microsoft.com, www.compaq.com,
www.lrz-muenchen.de, www.leo.org.

Apache Server Information

Server Settings, mod_browser.c, mod_auth.c, mod_access.c, mod_alias.c, mod_proxy.c, mod_userdir.c, mod_actions.c,
mod_imap.c, mod_asis.c, mod_cgi.c, mod_dir.c, mod_autoindex.c, mod_include.c, mod_info.c, mod_status.c, mod_negotiation.c,
mod_mime.c, mod_log_config.c, mod_env.c, http_core.c

Server Version: Apache/1.3a1
API Version: 19970719
Run Mode: standalone
User/Group: wwwrun(30)/30
Hostname/port: www.indernet:80
Daemons: start: 1    min idle: 1    max idle: 2    max: 10
Max Requests: per child: 30    keep alive: on    max per connection: 100
Threads: per child: 0
Excess requests: per child: 0
Timeouts: connection: 600    keep-alive: 15
Server Root: /home/wwwrun
Config File: /home/wwwrun/conf/httpd.conf
PID File: /var/run/httpd.pid
Scoreboard File: /var/log/apache_runtime_status

Module Name: mod_browser.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: Translate Handler
Module Configuration Commands:
     BrowserMatch - A browser regex and a list of variables.
     BrowserMatchNoCase - a browser regex and a list of variables.
Current Configuration:

Module Name: mod_auth.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: User ID Checking , Authentication Checking
Module Configuration Commands:
     AuthUserFile - text file containing user IDs and passwords
     AuthGroupFile - text file containing group names and member user IDs
     AuthAuthoritative - Set to 'no' to allow access control to be passed along to lower modules if the UserID is not known
     to this module
Current Configuration:

Module Name: mod_access.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: Access Checking
Module Configuration Commands:
     order - 'allow,deny', 'deny,allow', or 'mutual-failure'
     allow - 'from' followed by hostnames or IP-address wildcards
     deny - 'from' followed by hostnames or IP-address wildcards
Current Configuration:
access.conf
     <Directory /home/wwwrun/data>
       <Limit GET>
         order allow,deny
         allow from all
       </Limit>
     </Directory>

Module Name: mod_alias.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: Translate Handler , Header Fixer
Module Configuration Commands:
     Alias - a fakename and a realname
     ScriptAlias - a fakename and a realname
     Redirect - an optional status, then document to be redirected and destination URL
     AliasMatch - a regular expression and a filename
     ScriptAliasMatch - a regular expression and a filename
     RedirectMatch - an optional status, then a regular expression and destination URL
     RedirectTemp - a document to be redirected, then the destination URL
     RedirectPermanent - a document to be redirected, then the destination URL
Current Configuration:
srm.conf
     Alias /icons/ /home/wwwrun/icons/
     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/wwwrun/cgi-bin/

Module Name: mod_proxy.c
Content-types affected: proxy-server
Module Groups: Translate Handler , Header Fixer
Module Configuration Commands:
     ProxyRequests - on if the true proxy requests should be accepted
     ProxyRemote - a scheme, partial URL or '*' and a proxy server
     ProxyPass - a virtual path and a URL
     ProxyBlock - A list of names, hosts or domains to which the proxy will not connect
     NoProxy - A list of domains, hosts, or subnets to which the proxy will connect directly
     ProxyDomain - The default intranet domain name (in absence of a domain in the URL)
     CacheRoot - The directory to store cache files
     CacheSize - The maximum disk space used by the cache in Kb
     CacheMaxExpire - The maximum time in hours to cache a document
     CacheDefaultExpire - The default time in hours to cache a document
     CacheLastModifiedFactor - The factor used to estimate Expires date from LastModified date
     CacheGcInterval - The interval between garbage collections, in hours
     CacheDirLevels - The number of levels of subdirectories in the cache
     CacheDirLength - The number of characters in subdirectory names
     NoCache - A list of names, hosts or domains for which caching is *not* provided
Current Configuration:
httpd.conf
     ProxyRequests on
     CacheRoot /tmp
     CacheSize 100
     CacheGcInterval 3
     CacheDirLevels 5
     CacheDirLength 30

Module Name: mod_userdir.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: Translate Handler
Module Configuration Commands:
     UserDir - the public subdirectory in users' home directories, or 'disabled', or 'disabled username username...', or
     'enabled username username...'
Current Configuration:
srm.conf
     UserDir public_html

Module Name: mod_actions.c
Content-types affected: */*
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands:
     Action - a media type followed by a script name
     Script - a method followed by a script name
Current Configuration:

Module Name: mod_imap.c
Content-types affected: application/x-httpd-imap , imap-file
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands:
     ImapMenu - the type of menu generated: none, formatted, semiformatted, unformatted
     ImapDefault - the action taken if no match: error, nocontent, referer, menu, URL
     ImapBase - the base for all URL's: map, referer, URL (or start of)
Current Configuration:

Module Name: mod_asis.c
Content-types affected: httpd/send-as-is , send-as-is
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands: none

Module Name: mod_cgi.c
Content-types affected: application/x-httpd-cgi , cgi-script
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands:
     ScriptLog - the name of a log for script debugging info
     ScriptLogLength - the maximum length (in bytes) of the script debug log
     ScriptLogBuffer - the maximum size (in bytes) to record of a POST request
Current Configuration:

Module Name: mod_dir.c
Content-types affected: httpd/unix-directory
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands:
     DirectoryIndex - a list of file names
Current Configuration:
srm.conf
     DirectoryIndex index.shtml index.html

Module Name: mod_autoindex.c
Content-types affected: httpd/unix-directory
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands:
     AddIcon - an icon URL followed by one or more filenames
     AddIconByType - an icon URL followed by one or more MIME types
     AddIconByEncoding - an icon URL followed by one or more content encodings
     AddAlt - alternate descriptive text followed by one or more filenames
     AddAltByType - alternate descriptive text followed by one or more MIME types
     AddAltByEncoding - alternate descriptive text followed by one or more content encodings
     IndexOptions - one or more index options
     IndexIgnore - one or more file extensions
     AddDescription - Descriptive text followed by one or more filenames
     HeaderName - a filename
     ReadmeName - a filename
     FancyIndexing - Limited to 'on' or 'off' (superseded by IndexOptions FancyIndexing)
     DefaultIcon - an icon URL
Current Configuration:
srm.conf
     FancyIndexing on
     AddIconByEncoding (CMP,/icons/compressed.gif) x-compress x-gzip
     AddIconByType (TXT,/icons/text.gif) text/*
     AddIconByType (IMG,/icons/image2.gif) image/*
     AddIconByType (SND,/icons/sound.gif) audio/*
     AddIconByType (VID,/icons/movie.gif) video/*
     AddIcon /icons/text.gif .ps .shtml
     AddIcon /icons/movie.gif .mpg .qt
     AddIcon /icons/binary.gif .bin .exe
     AddIcon /icons/burst.gif .wrl
     AddIcon /icons/binhex.gif .hqx .sit
     AddIcon /icons/uu.gif .uu
     AddIcon /icons/tar.gif .tar .tar.gz .tgz
     AddIcon /icons/back.gif ..
     AddIcon /icons/dir.gif ^^DIRECTORY^^
     AddIcon /icons/blank.gif ^^BLANKICON^^
     AddIcon /icons/compressed.gif .zip
     AddIcon /icons/sound2.gif .mid .MID
     DefaultIcon /icons/unknown.gif
     ReadmeName README
     HeaderName HEADER
     IndexIgnore */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */RCS

Module Name: mod_include.c
Content-types affected: text/x-server-parsed-html , text/x-server-parsed-html3 , server-parsed , text/html
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands:
     XBitHack - Off, On, or Full
Current Configuration:
access.conf
     <Directory /home/wwwrun/data>
       XBitHack Full
     </Directory>

Module Name: mod_info.c
Content-types affected: server-info
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands:
     AddModuleInfo - a module name and additional information on that module
Current Configuration:

Module Name: mod_status.c
Content-types affected: application/x-httpd-status , server-status
Module Groups: none
Module Configuration Commands: none

Module Name: mod_negotiation.c
Content-types affected: application/x-type-map , type-map
Module Groups: Type Checking
Module Configuration Commands:
     CacheNegotiatedDocs - no arguments (either present or absent)
     LanguagePriority - space-delimited list of MIME language abbreviations
Current Configuration:
srm.conf
     LanguagePriority en fr de

Module Name: mod_mime.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: Type Checking
Module Configuration Commands:
     AddType - a mime type followed by one or more file extensions
     AddEncoding - an encoding (e.g., gzip), followed by one or more file extensions
     AddLanguage - a language (e.g., fr), followed by one or more file extensions
     AddHandler - a handler name followed by one or more file extensions
     ForceType - a media type
     SetHandler - a handler name
     TypesConfig - the MIME types config file
Current Configuration:
srm.conf
     AddEncoding x-compress Z
     AddEncoding x-gzip gz
     AddLanguage en .en
     AddLanguage fr .fr
     AddLanguage de .de
     AddLanguage da .da
     AddLanguage el .el
     AddLanguage it .it
     AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
     AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi
     AddType text/x-server-parsed-html3 .shtml3 shtml .shtml
     AddType httpd/send-as-is asis
     AddType application/x-type-map var
     AddType application/x-httpd-imap map
access.conf
     <Location /server-status>
       SetHandler server-status
     </Location>
     <Location /server-info>
       SetHandler server-info
     </Location>

Module Name: mod_log_config.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: Logging
Module Configuration Commands:
     CustomLog - a file name and a custom log format string
     TransferLog - the filename of the access log
     LogFormat - a log format string (see docs)
     CookieLog - the filename of the cookie log
Current Configuration:
httpd.conf
     TransferLog /var/log/httpd.access_log

Module Name: mod_env.c
Content-types affected: none
Module Groups: Header Fixer
Module Configuration Commands:
     PassEnv - a list of environment variables to pass to CGI.
     SetEnv - an environment variable name and a value to pass to CGI.
     UnsetEnv - a list of variables to remove from the CGI environment.
Current Configuration:

Module Name: http_core.c
Content-types affected: */*
Module Groups: Translate Handler , Access Checking , Type Checking
Module Configuration Commands:
     <Directory - Container for directives affecting resources located in the specified directories
     </Directory> - Marks end of
     <Location - Container for directives affecting resources accessed through the specified URL paths
     </Location> - Marks end of
     <VirtualHost - Container to map directives to a particular virtual host
     </VirtualHost> - Marks end of
     <Files - Container for directives affecting files matching specified patterns
     </Files> - Marks end of
     <Limit - Container for authentication directives when accessed using specified HTTP methods
     </Limit> - Marks end of
     <IfModule - Container for directives based on existance of specified modules
     </IfModule> - Marks end of
     <DirectoryMatch - Container for directives affecting resources located in the specified directories
     </DirectoryMatch> - Marks end of
     <LocationMatch - Container for directives affecting resources accessed through the specified URL paths
     </LocationMatch> - Marks end of
     <FilesMatch - Container for directives affecting files matching specified patterns
     </FilesMatch> - Marks end of
     AuthType - An HTTP authorization type (e.g., "Basic")
     AuthName - The authentication realm (e.g. "Members Only")
     Require - Selects which authenticated users or groups may access a protected space
     Satisfy - access policy if both allow and require used ('all' or 'any')
     AccessFileName - Name(s) of per-directory config files (default: .htaccess)
     DocumentRoot - Root directory of the document tree
     ErrorDocument - Change responses for HTTP errors
     AllowOverride - Controls what groups of directives can be configured by per-directory config files
     Options - Set a number of attributes for a given directory
     DefaultType - the default MIME type for untypable files
     ServerType - 'inetd' or 'standalone'
     Port - A TCP port number
     HostnameLookups - "on" to enable or "off" to disable reverse DNS lookups
     User - Effective user id for this server
     Group - Effective group id for this server
     ServerAdmin - The email address of the server administrator
     ServerName - The hostname of the server
     ServerRoot - Common directory of server-related files (logs, confs, etc)
     ErrorLog - The filename of the error log
     PidFile - A file for logging the server process ID
     ScoreBoardFile - A file for Apache to maintain runtime process management information
     LockFile - The lockfile used when Apache needs to lock the accept() call
     AccessConfig - The filename of the access config file
     ResourceConfig - The filename of the resource config file
     ServerAlias - A name or names alternately used to access the server
     ServerPath - The pathname the server can be reached at
     Timeout - Timeout duration (sec)
     KeepAliveTimeout - Keep-Alive timeout duration (sec)
     MaxKeepAliveRequests - Maximum number of Keep-Alive requests per connection, or 0 for infinite
     KeepAlive - Whether persistent connections should be On or Off
     IdentityCheck - Enable identd (RFC 1413) user lookups - SLOW
     ContentDigest - whether or not to send a Content-MD5 header with each request
     StartServers - Number of child processes launched at server startup
     MinSpareServers - Minimum number of idle children, to handle request spikes
     MaxSpareServers - Maximum number of idle children
     MaxServers - Deprecated equivalent to MaxSpareServers
     ServersSafetyLimit - Deprecated equivalent to MaxClients
     MaxClients - Maximum number of children alive at the same time
     MaxRequestsPerChild - Maximum number of requests a particular child serves before dying.
     RLimitCPU - soft/hard limits for max CPU usage in seconds
     RLimitMEM - soft/hard limits for max memory usage per process
     RLimitNPROC - soft/hard limits for max number of processes per uid
     BindAddress - '*', a numeric IP address, or the name of a host with a unique IP address
     Listen - a port number or a numeric IP address and a port number
     SendBufferSize - send buffer size in bytes
     AddModule - the name of a module
     ClearModuleList -
     ThreadsPerChild - Number of threads a child creates
     ExcessRequestsPerChild - Maximum number of requests a particular child serves after it is ready to die.
     ListenBacklog - maximum length of the queue of pending connections, as used by listen(2)
Current Configuration:
httpd.conf
     ServerType standalone
     Port 80
     User wwwrun
     Group www
     ServerAdmin hiran@chaudhuri.indernet
     ServerRoot /home/wwwrun
     ErrorLog /var/log/httpd.error_log
     PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid
     ScoreBoardFile /var/log/apache_runtime_status
     ServerName www.indernet
     Timeout 600
     MinSpareServers 1
     MaxSpareServers 1
     StartServers 1
     MaxClients 10
     MaxRequestsPerChild 30
srm.conf
     DocumentRoot /home/wwwrun/data
     AccessFileName .htaccess
     DefaultType application/octet-stream
     ErrorDocument 404 /cgi-bin/missing_handler
     ErrorDocument 500 "The server made a boo boo..."
access.conf
     <Directory /home/wwwrun/cgi-bin>
       Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
     </Directory>
     <Directory /home/wwwrun/data>
       Options ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
       AllowOverride All
     </Directory>