Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/13 08:16:32 UTC

Wicket in academia

Anyone have a ACM membership?

https://blog.acolyer.org/2016/06/13/identifying-and-quantifying-architectural-debt/

> After studying seven Apache open source projects (Camel, Cassandra,
> CXF, Hadoop, HBase, PDFBox, and *Wicket*)  and finding between 74
> and 204 instance of architectural debt in each project, the authors found
> that from 51%-85% of the maintenance effort in these projects is
> consumed by paying interest on those debts.

Now I'm interested finding those "architectural debt" parts in Wicket.

Martijn

Re: Wicket in academia

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Here's the conclusion (I've added some paragraphs to the final summary
paragraph to enable easier reading and quoting):

To quantify and manage architectural TD, we formally de- fined the
concept of architectural debt, and then described an approach to
automatically identify such debts, to measure their maintenance
consequences, and to model their growth. We proposed a novel history
model—the HCP matrix—to approximate the probabilities of change
propagation among files, and defined 4 patterns based on the HCP
matrix to capture problematic architectural connections among files.

We evaluated our approach on 7 large-scale Apache open source projects
and the results showed that a significant portion (51% to 85%) of
overall maintenance effort was consumed by paying interest on
architectural debts.

This suggests that projects could save a significant amount of
maintenance costs if they can discover these debts early, and pay them
down by refactoring.

The top 5 architectural debts in each of the 7 projects consume a
non-trivial portion (20% to 61%) of each project’s maintenance effort,
but they only contain a small portion of each project’s error-prone
files (8% to 25%).

Thus investing in refactoring small groups of files could reap large benefits.

Finally, we quantified the growing trend of maintenance costs for each debt.

About half of the debts grow linearly, meaning that developers pay a
consistently increasing penalty on these debts in every release.

And using DSMs, we qualitatively illustrated how architectural issues
connect more files, incur more maintenance costs, and evolve into
debts over time.

Re: Wicket in academia

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket in academia